• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oscar's got worms :(

tiger_lily

Mama Doe
Was cleaning out the litter tray and there were some wormy poos- looks like pinworms :(
Got to go down vets this afternoon to get some Pancur, how long does it usually take for worms to clear up? Where could they have come from?

A lot of rabbits have pinworms but the population can suddenly increase if the rabbit is stressed/unwell. I think they take 2-3 days to die once the bun is on panacur, but the course is 9 days or 28 - I'd go for 28 to be safe! :wave:

Useful to take some droppings to the vet for him/her to check?

A lot of rabbits have pinworms but the population can suddenly increase if the rabbit is stressed/unwell. I think they take 2-3 days to die once the bun is on panacur, but the course is 9 days or 28 - I'd go for 28 to be safe! :wave:

Useful to take some droppings to the vet for him/her to check?

Ok, I didn't realise that. If there was only two or three droppings with worms in that I noticed, does he still need treating then?

Ok, I didn't realise that. If there was only two or three droppings with worms in that I noticed, does he still need treating then?

Yes, definitely. Suggests the population is high for whatever reason and that will make him debilitated and prey to other illnesses. Also worth getting him checked just to be sure the worms aren't a sign there's something else going on. :wave:

Yes, definitely. Suggests the population is high for whatever reason and that will make him debilitated and prey to other illnesses. Also worth getting him checked just to be sure the worms aren't a sign there's something else going on. :wave:

Ok, I thought I should just check! Thank you for the advice :)

ETA: What could be causing it then?

Last edited:
Ok, I thought I should just check! Thank you for the advice :)

ETA: What could be causing it then?

Pleasure - hope it helps.

He could have a slight respiratory infection/early stages EC (the lapizole would take care of that too) or it could just be the worms are flourishing more in the hot weather. As long as the vet checks him carefully to rule other stuff out, and treats with lapizole/panacur, (former for preference though I can't remember why :oops:) your bun should be fine :wave:

Hiya here's Sprocket's tread when he had worms. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=246200&highlight=sprocket+worms

he was put on a course of Lapizole and that cleared him up. It was a long course and we also limited him to a hay only diet as he also had an upset tum. The worms died uite quickly but it took him a while or his tum to clear up. but we think there might be dietary issues with him too.

Thanks, that's exactly what his droppings looked like too. I've not noticed any other changes in his diet- eating the same amount, drinking the same, normal looking poos. There was one bunch of leftover ceacals, but that's the first I've ever noticed and I think he might have just been disturbed when he was eating them...

Pleasure - hope it helps.

He could have a slight respiratory infection/early stages EC (the lapizole would take care of that too) or it could just be the worms are flourishing more in the hot weather. As long as the vet checks him carefully to rule other stuff out, and treats with lapizole/panacur, (former for preference though I can't remember why :oops:) your bun should be fine :wave:

Sorry, didn't see this reply earlier. The vets can't get him in to check today because one of them is off sick, should I still get the panacur or whichever today, or wait until I can get an appointment?

Oh dear Oscar, we all hope that those little nasties soon disappear.

Take care. x

Thank you :)

Back