• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House train my rabbit

jolmbagpuss

Young Bun
I have had a male rabbit for about 6 months now which lives at home with us. We had a rabbit before this one which was a lot better. This new rabbits is only about 8 months old.

He has two trays to go to the toilet in which he does do but he also poos randomly around the house. Sometimes even just outside his litter box. He also wees occasionally in places.

He also throws his food around out of the bowl which can be a bit messy in the house.

Any solutions to these two problems?

Neutering should help, neutered bunnies are usually a lot more easily litter trained, calmer and generally healthier :) He may be scent marking your house because he's unneutered, does he have a lot of toys? One of my rabbits used to throw her food bowl over when she was bored waiting for her free range time. Now she is spayed, has a neutered male friend, and plenty of room and activities there's been no other problems :)

What kind of toys would you recommend as he seems to ignore the toys I have given him in the past. He is more into biting cardboard boxes!

What kind of toys would you recommend as he seems to ignore the toys I have given him in the past. He is more into biting cardboard boxes!

Cardboard boxes make good toys, but watch out that he doesn't eat them. You could cut rabbit sized holes in them and stuff them with hay, or use smaller ones for him to throw about. Get him natural toys like chew mats where he can sit, throw or chew etc. Chewing hay, which he should have plenty of all the time, should keep him amused by eating that. He should be a lot happier though if you get him neutered. Also what do you use in his litter trays? If you don't already try putting some hay in them so he can eat whilst going to the loo!

He does have hay in his litter trays which he does like eating. I think what I will do is get him neutered and get a female friend. He actually got on with our other male rabbit who was a bit older but unfortunately he died.

I will get him a chew mat and hopefully that will help and stop him eating the furniture. I have seen a few little toys in the shops but just think he won't bother playing with those and would prefer the furniture. Good idea about the box too. I will try that one out.

He does have hay in his litter trays which he does like eating. I think what I will do is get him neutered and get a female friend. He actually got on with our other male rabbit who was a bit older but unfortunately he died.

I will get him a chew mat and hopefully that will help and stop him eating the furniture. I have seen a few little toys in the shops but just think he won't bother playing with those and would prefer the furniture. Good idea about the box too. I will try that one out.

That sounds great :D Make sure you get him done at an experienced rabbit savvy vets, if you have any questions about the neutering just ask :) You will need to wait a few weeks before bonding him with a spayed female after his neuter.

All of mine have been littertrained from when I got them, before being spayed/neutered.

BUT, my sisters rabbit is 4.5 months old so too young to be spayed and she wee's and poo's everywhere despite having numerous littertrays in the room!

Back