• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent _ Substitute For Critical Care

susieb1

Mama Doe
Can anyone please help me. I posted a thread re Honey yesterday - very lethargic not eating or drinking. Went to vets yesterday pm, all vet could find wrong was slightly low temperature but decided to keep her in for 24 hours to observe and gave her injections. She had eaten some and pooed and vet said she seemed a little stressed being there today so as she had eaten/pooed etc. to bring her home and monitor her. Came home had a few loftys crispy bites but that is it. Had tried to entice her with fav herbs, dandelions etc. no luck. Have tried to syringe water think she got a bit but not much. Really worried bout her now, she's just laying there looking very tired. I have no critical care, could I mash up some wet pellets ( burgess excel ) and try and syringe this or could it cause problems. If I ring the emergency vets, which is not my own it's the local PDSA lthey will just inject her and send her away because they can't find anything wrong. please help with critical care substitute for tonight. Thanks

Yes you can mash up pellets. Have you got any fibreplex to mix or all veg or fruit baby food helps if they don't want to eat this. Just a little bit added in. Sending vibes for eating.

mashed up pellets - but they she may find these insufficiently interesting. Try baby foods - Ellas purees (carrot and apple or banana) or Hippo banana strter food.

I've used mashed up pellets, pineapple juice and probiotics before, put in a syringe with a bit of the end cut off as it tends to be quite lumpy

Good luck

Unfortunately I think I can do no more now. Have spent the last 6 hours trying to get something down her with very little luck. Sadly, I have just put her back with Cookie because if this is to be her last night then it should be with him not me. I think only a miracle can help now. Thank you all for your advice!

Was she discharged with any medication, especially pain relief ?

I do hope that she has made it through the night and that the Vet can help her today.

I hope she has made it through the night and is feeling a bit better this morning, sending get well soon vibes....

Well somehow she did and when I went into her this morning, she ran outside and drank lots and I mean lots of water but still wouldn't eat. Unfortunately for me but fortunately for my local Animals in need rescue, I was helping to run a bring and buy/coffee morning at a friends, I decided as she'd had a lot to drink would leave her. Came home at lunchtime and went in to her to a horrendous smell. She was just sitting at the top of the ramp from her hutch, I stroked her and when she hopped away she left a poo the size of a golfball plus! It was softish and interspersed with normal poo. Me and my daughter have cleaned her up as best we can and had to trim some fur off as there was more on her. She has since been cleaning herself. I have rang the vets and am waiting for the vet to get back to me now. She does seem brighter than yesterday but still not right. Thank you so much for asking - bet you wish you hadn't now. STILL KEEPING EVERYTHING CROSSED.

After much worry, Honey, fingers crossed, now seems back to normal. Was very touch and go but she seems quite bright today, eating and pooing well. The vet woke me at 8.20 this morning to see how she was which I thought was lovely. As we've said before so much of this about at the moment. Tons of vibes go to all those suffering.x

Back