• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What materials wear down rabbit nails?

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but yes, good question! Mine are on concrete floor but their nails seem to grow so quickly. I was thinking of gluing emery boards everywhere. (Only kidding!) Is there anything that can help keep them shorter apart from clipping them regularly?

I don't know if this works for every bun, but since I gave Penelope old carpet and old doormats to play with around the place, they tend to keep her nails trim as she burrows into them. Also random bits of cardboard/sanded wood, she like that to to dig into!

I cant think of anything else that would wear them down except sand paper which would be a big no no due to the risk of sore hocks. My 4 have 24 access to concrete slabs and it keeps their nails down nicely. If concrete cant be provided you will have to trim them, which once shown how to do it is pretty easy. :wave:

None of our buns have access to concrete. I trim their nails probably once every 8 - 10 weeks. I don't think there really is an alternative

mine are all indoors buns and their nails dont have anything to wear down on.

Lola's nail clip is every 5/6 month.
Charlies nail clip is every 3/4 month.
Delilahs nail clip is every 2/3 months.
Dougals every 4/5 months.

Its cheap enough to have them clipped at the vets or to do them youself:wave:

It's pretty much just concrete, paving slabs, stone, gravel etc. It depends what they do as well. If they dig against a hard surface, even if it's wood it's going to wear them down a little.

Bella had her nails sniped earlier at the vets for the first time. ( went for mix jab) The vet said they weren't long, just sharp. My buns have concrete, decking and grass to run around on, so maybe thats what is keeping them short.:)

You'll need to trim I'm afraid. It's all about practice and technique. Take her to a room she doesn't know so she doesn't wriggle as much.

If you feel you can't trim them yourself ask at your vets, they will often trim them for you, either a vet or vet nurse.

It's impossible for me to trim Jezebel as she is very moody and will bite then lock on to anyone that invades her personal space, I've no idea how to overcome this as she's good at wriggling to get her teeth into flesh

It's impossible for me to trim Jezebel as she is very moody and will bite then lock on to anyone that invades her personal space, I've no idea how to overcome this as she's good at wriggling to get her teeth into flesh

Gardening gloves? The thick leather kind?

ETA. If you get dog clippers they are much easier to handle, you'd never get your fingers through tiny 'rabbit' clippers with gloves on!

was thinking more like a suit of armour :lol: it gets a bit tedious having a rabbit hanging off your arm just because your trying to help it. Worst part is she won't let go until she's ready to do so.

It blooming well hurts too, she's also bitten through my thick jeans and made me bleed in the past.

Back