• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do rabbits get gas? U/D - seems more like sneezing?

SamanthaJane

Warren Veteran
Sorry I'm asking so many questions tonight!

Bailey just did this weird thing, like a little fit, like when we cough and our body shudders like.

She made this weird, perhaps ****, noise / squeak. It didn't seem to bother her, she didn't even look up from her hay! But just did it again a minute ago.

Is this normal?

U/D - She did it again just, about 5/6 times - it was just how we sneeze. Her nose is wet but she's just been drinking so it might be that making it wet.

So - new question...do rabbits sneeze? Or get colds?

Last edited:
They do get gas I'm not sure about what you witnessed, a more experienced RUer will hopefully help.

Yes, they can get bloat. Pie gets it often but I am still learning about it.
Can be due to too much gas-inducing veg, feel the tummy, does it feel like a little balloon? With bloat they usually still eat and drink but still look uncomfortable.
Pie sighs quite a bit, especially when she lies down and her head sort of jutters about(?)

Thanks snowball!!

Pie you're really helping me out today! Thanks so much.

I have noticed recently that her tummy feels rounder / fatter, especially when compared to Binkys.

I have a sneaky suspician Bailey is the one troughing all the water as well (Binky only has to look at the water bottle and Bailey flies over there to get it first!)

But she doesn't look uncomfortable though. Just her usually daft self.

They've never had any vegetables or anything - only pellets and hay (was told not to give them fresh veg until 3 months). I did give them some herbs tonight though - only a small bit to see how they went on - I can't be entirely sure now if she had 'gas' before or after eating them though.

Maybe see how she goes?

Hiya,

My 4 month old mini lop had gas a couple of weeks ago and in the end stopped eating...a couple of visits to the vets sorted him out.

The vet advised pineapple juice to help get rid of gas, and a good friend of mine who has kept rabbits or years swears by extra exercise to help get rid.

If the tummy is round and feels bloated then sounds like gas, keep a close eye as this can lead to stasis.

Thanks snowball!!

Pie you're really helping me out today! Thanks so much.

I have noticed recently that her tummy feels rounder / fatter, especially when compared to Binkys.

I have a sneaky suspician Bailey is the one troughing all the water as well (Binky only has to look at the water bottle and Bailey flies over there to get it first!)

But she doesn't look uncomfortable though. Just her usually daft self.

They've never had any vegetables or anything - only pellets and hay (was told not to give them fresh veg until 3 months). I did give them some herbs tonight though - only a small bit to see how they went on - I can't be entirely sure now if she had 'gas' before or after eating them though.

Maybe see how she goes?

Just for the water bottle thing, perhaps you should get a second bottle :) one bun can only guard one bottle at a time! x

I'm sure I've heard mine trump a few times :shock: They just stare at you for few seconds then carry on like they haven't done anything :lol:

Hope she is doing okay, good idea having the extra water bottle

I think we doting rabbit owners tend to know if there is something really wrong.

Good luck :)

I'm sure I've heard mine trump a few times :shock: They just stare at you for few seconds then carry on like they haven't done anything :lol:

:D:D:D That's made me laugh so loud! haha! I can just see their little faces looking momentarily confused 'what the heck was that?!' then carrying on lol!!

I think I updated this in the wrong place.

Bailey just did the shakey thing again - I saw better this time - i think it's a sneeze. Well about 5 of them in a row.

Do rabbits get colds?

I think I updated this in the wrong place.

Bailey just did the shakey thing again - I saw better this time - i think it's a sneeze. Well about 5 of them in a row.

Do rabbits get colds?

Yes sort of in that they get respiratory infections from a bacterial origin, they don't get viral colds like we do. Because rabbits are obligate nose breathers any respiratory infection can be potentially very serious and therefore needs prompt treatment from a rabbit-savy vet. Classic symptoms include the following: runny nose/dirty nose, discharge from nose, wet/damp fur on the forelegs (carpel handkerchiefs) and repetitive sneezing or difficulty breathing.

However, buns can also get foreign bodies up their nose, dust and also suffer from allergies which can cause sneezing in the absence of any discharge.

A vet check up would be a good idea for your bunny :wave:

Yes sort of in that they get respiratory infections from a bacterial origin, they don't get viral colds like we do. Because rabbits are obligate nose breathers any respiratory infection can be potentially very serious and therefore needs prompt treatment from a rabbit-savy vet. Classic symptoms include the following: runny nose/dirty nose, discharge from nose, wet/damp fur on the forelegs (carpel handkerchiefs) and repetitive sneezing or difficulty breathing.

However, buns can also get foreign bodies up their nose, dust and also suffer from allergies which can cause sneezing in the absence of any discharge.

A vet check up would be a good idea for your bunny :wave:

Ok, I have them booked in for a 'new pet check' in 3 weeks - is that too long? Just that the most rabbit savvy vet is away until then - I suppose the other vets will be fine, just this one of is very interested in rabbits and keeps them herself, so I'd trust her a bit more I think.

I don't think Bailey actually has a damp nose normally, just looked at it now and it's dry - I'll see how she is tomorrow?

Back