• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Drinking too much water

SamanthaJane

Warren Veteran
I know rabbits need to drink a lot, but the 2 of them get through over a 500ml bottle every day!

I fill it first thing in a morning and it's got 1/3 left when I get back from work. They just never stop! They eat lots of hay, not too many pellets as I don't give them a lot.

Someone has left a few cec's around the cage in the last few days (don't know who of course).

Should I be worried?

hi :wave:

I dont know if you should be worried. my 3 drink out of a large bowl, which is filled up twice a day, they gulp it down, but they appear very healthy, enjoy their hay and running around in their run, so Im guessing the telltale sign is, whether they seem happy and healthy :D

Average water consumption is 50-100ml/kg/24hrs.

I saw this on another thread which is what made me think.

I suppose it's only average they seem to wee a lot though. I cleaned their cage on Saturday and had to do it again today because it was soaked. They were good when I first got them (2 weeks ago) at generally going in the corner. They had a load of chew sticks which they got wee on though and got passed down the cage so that might be why they decided to pee everywhere else as well.

Just started litter training tonight so their in a pen in the lounge. Hard work this litter training! But it should help me keep an eye on how much their intake/output(sounds technical!) is!

my 3 drink just under 1l a day, which sounds about right as I have two small/mediums and one very large.

Do you know how much yours weigh? Then you can compare it against the averages Jane listed.

ah I see! I didn't realise the /kg was regarding the weight.

I'm not sure- they are 10 week old lionlops if anyone has any idea?

Pie (2yr old mini lop) used to go through AT LEAST 500mls in 24hrs but now it has gone down to about 300-400mls a day. I have had urine tests done and she is healthy - just has chronic gut problems which is unrelated to her water intake. I think she is just a thirsty girl :)

Everybun will be different - average, as jane says 50-100ml per day. Different metabolism and gut speed etc could affect how much is drunk, but so can many illnesses.

I have a bun who drinks ~800ml per day, on her own. She will sit at the water bowl for 15-20 minutes solid drinking for all that time. But she has kidney problems and possible other genetic issues meaning her organs aren't fully formed.

It's important to know what is normal for YOUR BUN, and then you can work out if something is wrong from that. There's no real standardisation, as everybun is like a human - no 2 buns are exactly the same :)

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to get another bottle for them as they both decide to drink at the same time more often than not and end up battling for the bottle!

Back