• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

baby rabbit advice please mxymatosis???

lisabeanbrady

Young Bun
HI Guys,

Just joined and could do with some advice. My 2 beautiful mini lops had a litter 4 weeks ago this Friday. I have have my male neutered (I put him back with violet 5 weeks after the op and that is how we have our lovely new bunnies!) and will have violet spayed once I have weaned the kits + giving her a couple of weeks to chill out.

I've been handling my babies and checking them over daily and this morning I noticed one of my bunnies (i cant tell if they are boys or girls yet) has swollen genitals...he/she did have some poo stuck to his/her fur which I removed and I was hoping it was just that that had irritated but 5 hours on they are still looking very puffy. His/her eyes look fine and I cant feel any lumps but I am unclear from my research if swollen genitals on their own are a sign of myxomatosis.

With the rabbit being so young I really dont want to rush him/her to the vets but obviously will if necessary. My two older rabbits have been vaccinated for myxomatosis and VHD and are not due for another 2 months for the their next jab.

Could really appreciate some help from someone with some experience.

Thank you

Last edited:
What do the "swollen Genitles" look like?
Can you notice a red protrusion from the area at all?
Can you get a photo?

Hi,

Thank you for getting back so quickly. I'll try and get a picture but difficult until my partner gets home to hold him, baby bunny wont stay still.

No, nothing red protruding. I have checked in comparison to the other 5.

I'll try and describe as best i can...I guess 'puffy', a little redder than usual and where on the others if you very gently push down either the penis or vagina is exposed, this ones is so puffy nothing is exposed.

I noticed this morning he/she was sitting by himself. I havn't seen him eat (they are beginning to sample hay and mums food) but I dont always at the moment.

Hmmm, sorry I can't be of more help, I just wondered if it was prolapsed like my little un had. Doesn't sound like it.
I haven't heard anything about swelling there before so hopefully soeone else will come along who knows more than me!

U.D

Checked baby bunny today and he/she isn't looking good...had a VERY large collection of soft poo stuck to him which was a nightmare to get off and whenever I go check all the babies he/she is always alone in the corner...the sweling doesn't look any worse than yesterday but it looks like his bottom bit is all swollen now too...

I don't know if I should risk the vets at such a young age?

I would try and get the vet to come out - if not the litter one will need to make the trip in. It does not sound good otherwise. Frankly I think you will loose him if a vet does not see him.

they were unsure of what it could be over the phone, they said I could bring him in, but did advise that i was taking a risk at seriously stressing out baby and then mum not being pleased about it...my vets are brilliant, but not so up on treating baby rabbits

spoke to my breeder and she also said I was taking a risk going to the vet.

Just don't like the fact that neither of them could say what they thought it is and now i'm not sure if i'm being silly?

Sounds as though the baby *might* have a prolapsed rectum.

He/she needs to be seen by a Vet as he/she is obviously in pain and IMO is not likely to survive without appropriate treatment.

Please take the poor kit to a Vet today to minimise further suffering.

I agree with Jane - doing nothing will probably be a death sentence for this little one - at least by taking it to the vet, you've given it a chance.

When one of the litter is isolated from the rest for whatever reason, it generally means something is seriously wrong.

Please don't delay - that little babe needs to see the vet asap

Please update us with what the vet says - you don't want the others to be at risk either do you :cry:

i agree, the little one needs to see a vet ASAP. It is likely in a great deal of pain and needs urgent treatment :wave:

Sounds as though the baby *might* have a prolapsed rectum.

He/she needs to be seen by a Vet as he/she is obviously in pain and IMO is not likely to survive without appropriate treatment.

Please take the poor kit to a Vet today to minimise further suffering.

This :(

Poor little kit :cry:

been to the vets

Been to the vets and not sure how satisfied I feel...

The vet and I decided it would be best to take all 6 for company, and violet (mum) was very happy to have them all back.

its not a prolapsed rectum, or anything the vet has come across before.. the vet said he didn't actually know what it is.

He said that bunnies at 3/4 weeks quite often get soft poo as their tummies are adjusting to hay and pellets, as long there is nothing jelly like its not a problem so that part should be okay.

as for the swelling he thinks maybe having the build up of poo could have irritated the area, especially if baby had tried to pull it off? But neither my breeder or vet has come across this, have also searched the internet with no luck.

Have been advised to bathe the area twice a day and obviously keep the bottom clean and keep an eye on it. the vet has so far been brilliant with my bunnies, he got Iver (dad) through terrible stasis so I guess I should trust his opinion.. never like not knowing what is wrong.

What are your thoughts?

Been to the vets and not sure how satisfied I feel...

The vet and I decided it would be best to take all 6 for company, and violet (mum) was very happy to have them all back.

its not a prolapsed rectum, or anything the vet has come across before.. the vet said he didn't actually know what it is.

He said that bunnies at 3/4 weeks quite often get soft poo as their tummies are adjusting to hay and pellets, as long there is nothing jelly like its not a problem so that part should be okay.

as for the swelling he thinks maybe having the build up of poo could have irritated the area, especially if baby had tried to pull it off? But neither my breeder or vet has come across this, have also searched the internet with no luck.

Have been advised to bathe the area twice a day and obviously keep the bottom clean and keep an eye on it. the vet has so far been brilliant with my bunnies, he got Iver (dad) through terrible stasis so I guess I should trust his opinion.. never like not knowing what is wrong.

What are your thoughts?

is your vet a rabbit savvy vet? (sorry to ask)
regular vets won't be as clued up as a rabbit savvy vet would be.

did they give him metacam for the pain?

No, the vet didn't give her anything..I asked if baby would be in pain but the vet didn't think so, he said he didn't like giving such young rabbits anything as their gut is so sensitive...I dont think I agree but dont feel qualified to question him too much?!

Please don't apologize for any questions! yes, they deal with "exotic" animals and as I mentioned he nursed daddy rabbit through stasis, i've been with them since last september.

i'm just wondering if i should be going for a second opinion, or if I am worrying over nothing?

I think we're all a bit puzzled, hence the lack of responses. It definitely doesn't sound like myxi tho. Young buns are very sensitive so I can understand your vets reluctance to give meds without knowing what it is.

I'm glad it's looking better. I think you'll just need to keep up what your doing and hopefully it will resolve itself or be easier to diagnose once he/she is little bigger.

Back