• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Has anyone put their bunnies on a diet??

Bitzy

Mama Doe
Dizzi now weighs 2.9 kilos and Rascal weighs 2.7! They were both only 2.4 kilos in December and the vet said then that she wouldn't like to see them going any higher than that!!! :shock:

Sooo they have to go on a bit of a diet .... does anyone have any good advice on the subject??

They're due to go back outside in a couple of weeks so I'm hoping that they'll be a bit more active but in the meantime I feel I should cut down their pellets and possibly their veg too but not sure of the best way to go about it.

Currently they have a handful of pellets between them in a morning, a handful between them at tea-time and a bowl of veg for supper. Would I be best just cutting down the number of pellets and veg at each feed or just feeding them pellets in a morning and veggies for their tea? :)

Only a special 'lots of hay' diet. Not to lose weight.

Just cut back on the pellets, and treats. Nice and easy :)

yes Joejoes on a diet, although it's difficult as Jess is a slow eater so he hoovers up her share at the same time, but basically i have severely restricted nuggets and started scattering them about instead of in a bowl so they have to hop about for them, no carrots or fruit, only greens and curly kale and herbs and the rest in hay. I don't know if he's lost any yet but we're back at the vets this week or next so will have a grand weigh in then, fingers crossed he's lost some!

:wave: If you halve their pellets & only feed herbs & either spring greens or grass/dandelions they shouldn't put any more weight on.

Louie was getting a bit "cuddly" so I cut out commercial treats and pellets.

He is now very athletic, loads of energy and a much better poop output :D

I had to put Smoo on a diet. I did this by feeding Grim separately so she couldn't eat all his food. When they were next weighed she had lost 100g and he had put on 100g. :lol:

Just cut down pellets and cut out treats. :)

tabby rabbit has to diet because she's a fat biff and eats all matthew's food. so she has six tiny nuggests morning and evening and he has twelve. she's losing weight slowly. they have hay all the time and greens twice a day. as the weather warms up i'll cut out nuggets for both and they'll have just hay and greens.

Eccles is deffo on a diet,
she was HUGE when i got her she couldnt hop she used to wobble and genuinly was in bad health.
shes now able to do a little hop but shes still got alot to lose :)

Any dietry changes need to be done gradually. I'd personally (and have done so) cut down pellets gradually. They don't notice and I don't feel too bad now they have much less. :)

I was advised to cut my rabbit down to one handful of pellets a day (and unlimited hay) as she had really bad sticky bum. She did lose weight and it also made the sticky bum a lot better.

I still gave veg

Thanks everyone, some really good advice there, will definitely cut down slowly and take all your suggestions on board. :D

Back