• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi jab side effects?

winnies angel

Mama Doe
I was wondering about side effects for myxi vaccines. I have been looking back but can only find vhd ones apart from a small lump where the vaccines gone for myxi. I know myxi one is the safer one but...
Everytime Winston has his myxi jab he ends up with snuffles,bloat,EC its just making me wonder if hes allergic to this vaccine or if its just coincidence (didn't want to make fool of myself asking vet later) she always says its prob stress triggered by jab but he goes to events/starngers cuddle him etc. Hes not the stressed out kinda bunny hence why we are taking him to Windermere there just seems more to it.
Any ideas?

The vaccine will be a challenge to his immune system. So any underlying problems, such as a latent pasteurella infection, may flare up as his immune system cant cope as well when also responding to the vaccine

One of my bunnies, Tippex Porkychicken, has become seriously ill on 3 occasions within 24-48 hours after her myxi jab, despite being in apparent perfect health beforehand. The first time she collapsed with suspected e.c. and was paralysed for 5days, The second time she went into stasis for about 10 days and the third time she had stasis followed by a pasteurella ear infection and now has a permanent head tilt- we think it caused her e.c. flared up again as an added complication. So yes, I'm certain the vaccine can trigger problems in some rabbits. However, none of my other bunnies have ever react to the myxi jab.

I would hate to put anyone off vaccinating their rabbit-you've a better chance of nursing a rabbit through stasis or snuffles than myxi but I will have to think long and hard before vaccinating Tippex again xx

The vaccine will be a challenge to his immune system. So any underlying problems, such as a latent pasteurella infection, may flare up as his immune system cant cope as well when also responding to the vaccine

This.

We have only ever had reactions to myxi vaccs as you describe. But thats probably because if they react this way to myxi we do not go ahead with the vhd vaccine :?

Ours had Vhd and we had no bother, even with the one our vet was worried about (changed the kind now as its meant to be safer) but winston (others are fine) is perfect health before hand (well apart from sore feet) and 3 times now he has come back after vaccine with snuffles, bloat and now EC. I dont think its a coincidence but my vet keeps saying its just stress triggered from vaccine. Winston is not really a stressed kind of lad. Trust me you have seen the cruelty I do to him dressing him up for halloween etc and h loves going to places to see people "show them how gorgeous I am" so I think there is more to it. I cant find side effects for myxi jabs and is there any other kind of protection as he is getting on a bit now and I dont want him to be losing his life when Im trying to protect them if theres and alternative.

Back