• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Milly doesnt eat much hay

lousilverfox

Mama Doe
Afternoon all,

Milly doesnt seem to be too interested in eating much hay, i know that she does eat a wee bit but not alot.

She is currently eating an egg cup of pellets in the morning along side some herbs, leaves (just a very small handfull.

Last night i gave her a few fenugreek cruchies as it said on the packet that it can stimulate her appetite.

Still she has left over half the hay that i have provided for her (meadow hay)

have tried her on timothy and ings samples but just stuck her nose up at them:roll:

Her teeth are fine, vet checked them last week.

She gets fresh hay around twice a day, but that means im chucking out the old stuff that she doesnt eat, its a right waste.

Any ideas how to get her munching more hay?

Maybe try mixing some of her pellets and some herbs through her hay to make her have to search for her food and eat some hay whilst she is at it??? Stuff it in a toilet roll tube with some pellets in the middle that she has to work to get them out.

I am sure someone will be along with more ideas soon!

Afternoon all,

Milly doesnt seem to be too interested in eating much hay, i know that she does eat a wee bit but not alot.

She is currently eating an egg cup of pellets in the morning along side some herbs, leaves (just a very small handfull.

Last night i gave her a few fenugreek cruchies as it said on the packet that it can stimulate her appetite.

Still she has left over half the hay that i have provided for her (meadow hay)

have tried her on timothy and ings samples but just stuck her nose up at them:roll:

Her teeth are fine, vet checked them last week.

She gets fresh hay around twice a day, but that means im chucking out the old stuff that she doesnt eat, its a right waste.

Any ideas how to get her munching more hay?

Does she REALLY have an eggcup of pellets? What pellets are you feeding?
When are you giving them to her?

How many veggies (a small handful is very variable)?

Sorry for all the questions, its very easy to make assumptions withuot the facts.

Yes i am REALLY giving her an eggcup of pellets Excel ones

and i have small hands, veg is a 10p size of brocolli, a few leaves of parsely (fresh) a couple of bramble leaves

also she always has an apple stick to chew on

Have you tried a stalkier hay? Buckley picks out the stalky bits and leaves the fresher green bits of hay. xo

I'd suggest getting sample packs of hay from wherever you can (hay for pets and the hay experts both do these) to see if she'll eat any of it, try hay in different forms too to ease her in to it. You can get hay cookies and hay rolls with dandelion or herbs which might both be worth a go.

If you're worried about wasting hay try giving her smaller amounts at a time, or put the old stuff (as long as it's clean) back in the bag and mix it up with the new stuff.

Hay cookies sound like a really good idea!

She loves dandilion, but dont give her them anymore as it made her wee heaps

ta for advice xx

ive just recently given milly a sample of timothy hay from an online hay supplier which she didnt take to, but perhaps the timothy hay from pets at home will be yummier for her:D

Yep, try her with a few different brands and types. We all have buns who prefer one over another.:lol:

Back