• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you feed hay if you house buns in a shed/wendyhouse?

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
Hi :)

I'm looking for the least messy way possible to feed bunnies hay when they'#re gonna be living in a shed.

At the moment I plop it on top of their cage and in little hanging balls around their cage, but obviously these won't be practical in a shed.

Hay racks seem kinda good but in my experience my buns just tend to pull it all out :shock: :roll:

I'm thinking just having a hay rack and putting a big litterbox underneath might be the answer?

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/runs_fencing/pen_accessories/83037#more ! BUNNY PERCH :love::love:

Last edited:
Don't have a shed yet but mine have litter trays full of hay in their hutches and I plan to do the same when I have the shed :)

They have half moon hanging baskets when they are in the run but I do like that!! Means I won't have to worry about them getting their feets stuck!!

Bring on payday!

Bring on payday!
:D :D :D !

My payday was yesterday, got my student loan payment in :D and immediately £300 on bunnies :shock: !

I have wooden pellet litter in their trays and if I put hay in it gets all squooshed into their litter :roll: and then I have to empty it every day, rather than every 2-3 which gets expensive :roll:!

Also, I find if I feed it in the littertray they fight over who gets to sit in there while munching! Maybe I need to get a bigger tray, so both buns can fit their big bunnybums in? But then it will have to be huge :shock:

everywhere!! :lol::lol:I put it in the bedding area, the litter tray, next to the litter tray on the floor as they only poo etc in one spot. Some have hay racks, some have washing up bowls full of hay. to be honest, I think as long as they have unlimited fresh hay daily, it doesn't matter where you put it as they will move it to the most convenient spot...

old hayrack
hayrack2.jpg

new hayrack
hayrack1.jpg

Except the rack now sits in the tray (much to rambo's dismay at losing her den) and it's in between the wall and a hutch so that a) they can all get to the top tray by sitting on top the hutch and b) they have to sit in a litter tray instead of toileting in the doorway :oops:

eta: I'm currently making plans for an ultimate "feeding station" :oops: Hopefully it will mean they have to sit in trays and can't possibly pee on the hay.

Last edited:
http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy320/BattleKat89/shedler/hayrac[/QUOTE]

Oo I like that idea of hanging stuff from the ceiling :D I might steal that idea!

You'll have to tell me how well your ultimate feeding station goes ;)!

We've got hay racks above their litter trays, and we also have those small plastic cat baskets that we pile it in, though they sometimes confuse that with another litter tray. Cardboard boxes they can climb into are good too.

We've also just recently given them medium sized (9inch diameter) plastic plant pots from B&Q and put hay in those, then they can roll the plant pots around after as well.

We've got hay racks above their litter trays, and we also have those small plastic cat baskets that we pile it in, though they sometimes confuse that with another litter tray. Cardboard boxes they can climb into are good too.

We've also just recently given them medium sized (9inch diameter) plastic plant pots from B&Q and put hay in those, then they can roll the plant pots around after as well.

My idiots just pee in cardboard boxes :oops:

But the plant pot idea sounds great, I could even cut out a couple of big holes in the bottom and hang that up actually :D thanks for all the ideas guys :D!

My buns have a half hanging basket full of hay which is mostly ignored, they have some hanging treat balls which they eat from but they prefer the hay to be placed in an underbed storage box and cat litter trays

Heather and Barty have hay in their litter tray and in the hay rack above it.

We use a IKEA plastic bag holder as a hay rack - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-IKEA-RATI...&otn=3&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=8638890282282737877

Oo I have one of those which I don't use :D great idea!

I think the general consensus is to just shove it everywhere haha :roll: oh, messy bunnys! I'm not looking forward to sweeping up the floor in the middle of winter, seems like a mammoth job :roll:

Mine just have 1 large litter tray of hay in their hutch, and no hay anywhere else.

Despite just the 1 tray, they eat tons of hay & have golden poos!

I change it every other day, and top it up every morning afternoon & before bedtime.

Back