• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Families who hate your bunnies

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
I know I'm sadly not the only one on here. My dad jokes about my bunny addiction but I can tell he loves the little guys and is happy with the way I keep them.

My mum is a different story. Whenever I talk about moving she says 'yes then the rabbits can go outside in a hutch'. She always askes me where they sleep and why they don't have a hutch. I genuinely think if she came round and I had them all crammed in a tiny cage she would be far happier about it than when she sees them running around :( and she has had a rabbit herself in the past and let us have rabbits as kids.

I always think surely she should be glad that I take good care of my pets rather than neglect them :?. It does not affect her in any way, she hardly ever comes here and it isn't her house and she doesn't contribute to my rent or anything like that.

(just stewing because she's coming around later to drop my brother off :roll: and I have set them up a little cage for a base I bet she's glad to see it)

My dads side of the family hate me having pets, they even hate me being veggie. Stopped seeing them :lol:
My mams side all like the bunnys, lucky there. The kids especially adore them and beg to feed them treats and stuff

That must be hard. :(

I am lucky that my parents, whilst not really understanding why I wanted bunnies in the first place, came round pretty quickly and are really fond of them now :) (My dad is still scared of the chinchillas though!)

my mum always tells me there is no such thing as a house rabbit that its discusting and not hygenic to have them in the house.

and that i waste all my money on them...

its not her house or her money so im not really bothered about her opinion to be honest :)

I don't speak to my Brother's haven't now for 4 years but one of them hates animals and was always nasty and sarcastic to me about my rabbits.
If I ever lost one and I'd be upset he would think I was stupid because I was crying over the death of a rabbit.
When my horse died after 22 years his first words to me were 'When's the barbecue' and the best of it all is....he's a Born Again Christian.
I'm much better off without people like him in my life :(

my mum always tells me there is no such thing as a house rabbit that its discusting and not hygenic to have them in the house.

and that i waste all my money on them...

its not her house or her money so im not really bothered about her opinion to be honest :)

Ummmmm I think the members on here could prove her wrong a few thousand times over! :lol::lol::lol:

What a peculiar attitude. I've lived with cats and dogs and my bunnies are much cleaner and more hygienic that either of those.

I don't speak to my Brother's haven't now for 4 years but one of them hates animals and was always nasty and sarcastic to me about my rabbits.
If I ever lost one and I'd be upset he would think I was stupid because I was crying over the death of a rabbit.
When my horse died after 22 years his first words to me were 'When's the barbecue' and the best of it all is....he's a Born Again Christian.
I'm much better off without people like him in my life :(

people who own animals have a great heart...those who hate animals have no heart at all!!

:( its awful isn't it. My dad drove me down to get Eddie cremated and he was really supportive, even paid for some of it although I could tell he didn't agree with the price, but when he rang me a week later he said 'so are you over it now?' I thought that was a really callous thing to say.

Ummmmm I think the members on here could prove her wrong a few thousand times over! :lol::lol::lol:

What a peculiar attitude. I've lived with cats and dogs and my bunnies are much cleaner and more hygienic that either of those.

yes, my mum's carpets are covered in dog hair, but I couldnt criticise her for that :roll: she would just say he isn't her dog.

i put up with "jokes" about show the bunnies the pot,
but the OH's family i live with dont understand pets the same way,
they keep telling me to take the babies to the local petshop i cant find homes for them and theyre taking up too much room:(

Neither mine or OH family understand it. I get comments about why I was getting such smelly and disgusting creatures. We had them when we were young and they lived on tea leaves and porridge oats in a hutch that didn't take up half the garden.

It makes me Incredibly sad to think of the lives their rabbits must have had. Properly looked after buns do not smell and they need more than a jail cell to live in.

However, when it really matters they support me. Mum will always ask how they are by name and cried when I told her Oliver was pts. My dad tells everyone about the time I was hanging out washing and Floppy was playing chase with me. Gary's dad spent a day digging down the edges of the fence and pinning rabbit proof fence around the fence.

My parents understand as they have a rabbit themselves and my mum loves Buster, she bought him a bag of treats as a welcome present :roll:

My OH's mum on the other hand probably wouldnt be so understanding, not that i care as she never comes over. The majority of my freinds are animal lovers so im pretty lucky really

Ditto! My mums scared of them i think. First time she stayed, my bunny jumped up on the sofa with her because she was telling him to go follow me, :lol: second later, her drinks everywhere and shes screaming!

I think my Dad would have loved the idea of a house rabbit - he liked anything "unusual" and always hoped to find an orphaned squirrel or fox cub so he could raise it and keep it :roll: He did bring home a baby squirrel once as I recall, that had been disturbed when some trees were cut down where he was working but sadly it didn't survive

I get nothing but abuse from my in-laws about the rabbits.

My mum used to be the same, but I told her she was being a total witch and to keep her opinions to herself...seemed to work, and now she sometimes even brings veg over for them! :shock:

My OH's mum used to tell me that I wasn't allowed to get any more rabbits once they died off (we don't live with her and she doesn't contribute). However after her other daughter in law had an affair and it caused a great deal of trouble, I think she's now pleased that rabbits are my only vice! She always asks about them now and actually approved when we spent rather a lot of money last year getting a specially built shed to rabbit specifications :)

Oh, and I've had 2 more rescue buns since then!

Back