• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plant questions calling Thumps_ or Pretty Lupin!

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
Is sorrel bunny safe?

Also Echincea (sp?) is on the safe lists BUT is grown from a bulb? Confused!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Echinacea isn't grown from a bulb :?

I think there are a few different plants commonly called Sorrel, which one are you thinking of - the lemony one that humans eat in salads?

I'm pretty sure Echinacea isn't grown from a bulb :?

I think there are a few different plants commonly called Sorrel, which one are you thinking of - the lemony one that humans eat in salads?

B&Q are selling bulbs that are in boxes labled echinacea

Sorrel - the pot just says common sorrel a wildflower and sharp flavoured herb :wave:

Weird :? Is it possible to look inside the boxes? They can't be true bulbs.

The Sorrel is probably Rumex acetosa, it's related to dock leaves. Not sure how suitable it is for bunnies. It's nice in a sandwich though!

Not sure, I could just see what looked to be a bulb :?

The sorrel is Rumex Acetosa you're right :wave: Hopefully thumps_ or PL will see this and be able to tell me :)

Generally the herb Sorrel is I 'think' ok, we eat it as Clutterydrawer says. But there is also a Sorrel Dock - member of Dock family and therefore the rule about NOT when in seed applies :wave:

As for echinacea - yes it's edible for rabbits and as far as i'm aware does not grow from a bulb. Clutterydrawer has answered the question I think already. :)

How do you tell the difference between the two Sorrels prettylupin? I thought the edible salady sorrel was related to dock aswell, as both sorrel and dock are Rumex.

Did a google image search for "echinacea bulbs" and loads of places sell them :? talk about a misleading description! I'm surprised they're allowed to do it.

How do you tell the difference between the two Sorrels prettylupin? I thought the edible salady sorrel was related to dock aswell, as both sorrel and dock are Rumex.

Did a google image search for "echinacea bulbs" and loads of places sell them :? talk about a misleading description! I'm surprised they're allowed to do it.

I don't know! Maybe they are one and the same? I asked my dad the same question when he picked some 'sorrel' on our allotment last year in order to feed it to my buns and I said... but isn't that dock in seed? :? I dunno :?
I guess both (or the same thing) is safe as long as not bolted and in seed :?

Ridiculous they call echinacea rhizomes bulbs! :shock::roll:

So Echincea is deffinatly safe, and the shops are lying :lol:
and Sorrel is a maybe safe? I assume if we can eat it as a herb, they can?

So Echincea is deffinatly safe, and the shops are lying :lol:
and Sorrel is a maybe safe? I assume if we can eat it as a herb, they can?

I wouldn't like to say 100% that it's safe. You can't always extrapolate from humans to animals - for example, we can eat avocado, but it's poisonous to cats. We can eat iceberg lettuce, but it's bad for rabbits.

Sorrel and Dock are both of the same genus (Rumex) so they will share some characteristics - I definitely wouldn't feed Sorrel after it's flowered, same as with Dock.

But Groundsel and Ragwort are in the same genus too, groundsel is safe in small amounts, whereas ragwort is deadly.

I'm not saying you should, or shouldn't feed it - it's up to you. Maybe look on google or do some forum searches to see if it's been discussed before, and what people's opinions are. (I can't because it'll bring up loads of threads about my rabbit Sorrel and I will cry!)

Or if you wait a bit Judy might see this and know the answer :)

wood sorrel or oxalis, it flowers yellow and is very high in oxalic acid, this is one i definately wouldn't feed - same goes for the grass type or common sorrel
i was trying to put a pic here for you to see but i don't have the option to do it :roll:
you'll have to email me :wave:

Last edited:
ahh Im so confussed :lol:

So sorrel flowers, and I shouldnt feed it afterwards? Im not feed the sorrel as Im getting confussed :lol:

ahh Im so confussed :lol:

So sorrel flowers, and I shouldnt feed it afterwards? Im not feed the sorrel as Im getting confussed :lol:

Yeh sorry we're just nattering now :lol:

Dock flowers, and after it does so, it contains too much oxalic acid to be safe for buns.

As Sorrel is related, I would *imagine* it would behave similarly - but this is just conjecture, I can't find any actual info relating to the safety of feeding Sorrel to rabbits.

Yeh sorry we're just nattering now :lol:

Dock flowers, and after it does so, it contains too much oxalic acid to be safe for buns.

As Sorrel is related, I would *imagine* it would behave similarly - but this is just conjecture, I can't find any actual info relating to the safety of feeding Sorrel to rabbits.

thankyou for explaining to me :D I wont feed it for now until I or someone else finds out if it is definatly safe :wave:

Back