• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Meshing the bottom of runs

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
Hi!

My buns are getting a swanky new pad soon, a shed with a run attached :)

Just got a question about meshing the bottom of the run!

The lawn in our back garden isn't entirely flat, it's slightly domed ie higher in the middle than the sides. It's pretty smooth, not bumpy, but it still has the domed kind of shape.

Just worried that if I mesh it there's a risk of bunnies catching claws/paws in it?

I don't really want to cover it over as I want them to be on the grass and we want the grass to grow well without having something covering it up!

Do I pull the mesh really tight and then just plop it on the ground and if there's a side where it's a bit higher, then that's just gonna have to stay like that?

You should level off the ground really. Dig it up and level it off. Then put the mesh down. Then you can put turf on top of the mesh and it will grow fine :)

You should level off the ground really. Dig it up and level it off. Then put the mesh down. Then you can put turf on top of the mesh and it will grow fine :)

No :p. Not happening. It's my mom and stepdads garden that they take a lot of pride in, no chance in hell :p

can you just let the existing grass grow through, as it's summer and grass grows pretty quickly?

I'll have to get a good measure of how much grass my bunnies can munch through in a day, the lawn might not even need cutting (apart from some outskirts that the bunnies can't reach!) so the grass might be long enough to cover it. Although, if the mesh is still there and only covered by grass they could still catch their nails in it possibly? Not sure though!

It's only gonna be a few cm or an inch or so off the ground, in one corner probably, just wondering if a brick in that corner, or maybe the 2 corners would sort the problem?

we dug our lawn up, put the mesh down, filled in and then turfed. But to be honest in 3 weeks most of the grass has been eaten :lol:

Its looking more like a hay bale now!

:wave: I have meshed my run after alot of thought...I tend to pop some hay down for them to munch but also helps make sure they don't get sure hocks etc. I used loads of tie wraps to attach the mesh as I have a metal run.

Back