• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you tell your bun/s off?

Trixielover

Mama Doe
Hi :wave:,
I have only had D&T for a few weeks, so their just getting to know me. But since Domino has had his neuter, he's been really naughty. He keeps biting, scratching and digging everything and me. :roll: I don't know what to do cos I don't want him to think what he's doing is ok. :? If you know what I mean? :oops:

I just say 'Inca NO' or 'Herbie NO' i say it each time they go back to it and they stop and look at me, eventually they stop doing it :)

I dont tell them off they are rabbits they wouldnt understand! If for example they are allowed to eat a cardboard box but not wallpaper or dig in the forage box but not the carpet I dont know how I'd explain the difference to them I just try and distract them with something else. I do occasionally try a 'NO' but its never worked :lol:

I do the distraction techniques too - dont think a bun would/could understand NO?? When Lucky has the devil in him, there's no stopping him! :lol:

I dont tell them off they are rabbits they wouldnt understand! If for example they are allowed to eat a cardboard box but not wallpaper or dig in the forage box but not the carpet I dont know how I'd explain the difference to them I just try and distract them with something else. I do occasionally try a 'NO' but its never worked :lol:

Charlie knows the difference now! :D He is quite a well behaved bunny. Shame Milly isn't :lol:

I gently move them away if they are going for something I don't want them to, and distract them until they forget!

treat ball has cured jayjays obsessive digging, when he does dig now i just roll it toward him and he obssesively plays with that insted,
:)

I used to tell adonia off as she was a house rabbit. I only told her, adonia no and she would get all giddy and start on purposely trying to go where i didn't want her to go.

Rabbits are very very smart, but abit like cats- not obedient :) You can say to a cat no in the same way and get the same reaction! So there aren't any good telling off strategies.

You just have to cater for a bunnies needs, protect your own stuff with fencing and put them on appropriate flooring.

If you are telling a rabbit off, it's because you haven't organized the house in such a way that it is bunny proof and ideally it should be :) xxx

I say No or their name im a stern tone, they both know they're doing somthing they shouldn't, but Cinders tends to just carry on and wait till I stand up then she scarpers as she knows she's gunna get moved.
Sooty only really gets told off for eating wallpaper, when I say his name sternly he just stops chewing and sits there looking nonchalant as if to say "what? I just felt like sitting here with my nose touching the wall" hmmm.. nice try but the wallpaper hanging out of your mouth gives you away :lol:

I used to tell adonia off as she was a house rabbit. I only told her, adonia no and she would get all giddy and start on purposely trying to go where i didn't want her to go.

Rabbits are very very smart, but abit like cats- not obedient :) You can say to a cat no in the same way and get the same reaction! So there aren't any good telling off strategies.

You just have to cater for a bunnies needs, protect your own stuff with fencing and put them on appropriate flooring.

If you are telling a rabbit off, it's because you haven't organized the house in such a way that it is bunny proof and ideally it should be :) xxx

Milly eats the walls and the door, I'd need to create a cage for my entire room to protect it from her :lol:
And eats the sofa which I can't really protect, and jumps in the bins, and she can climb :shock:
I did think it was 1000000% bunny proof when I only had Charlie :lol:

If I say no they'll stop and look at me - in fact loki often comes to check if I'm paying attention before he does something norty. The other trick is to thump your paw at them if they carry on - tap your hand on the ground in front of themin disapproval.

I dont tell my buns off they dont understand it and I proved it!

Using positive reinforcement stop the bad behaviour and encouraged the good behaviour.

Praise and reward the behaviour you want, the more you shout or tell them off the more attention they are getting therefore they think bad behaviour is a great way to get attention :wave:

I dont tell my buns off they dont understand it and I proved it!

Using positive reinforcement stop the bad behaviour and encouraged the good behaviour.

Praise and reward the behaviour you want, the more you shout or tell them off the more attention they are getting therefore they think bad behaviour is a great way to get attention :wave:
:D:D:D:D:D
awsome lady
awsome idea :)
wish more did this with there dogs :)

I understand what you are saying but what about when they bite and scratch etc. Thank goodness their teeth are not that sharp but when they are sharper I don't want them biting and scratching

It clearly depends on the Rabbit whether they respond to being told 'No' as my two definately do, and my Kermit did in the past.

Back