• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vets tomorrow :/

Wondergirl

Alpha Buck
Got my two girls booked in for their spay tomorrow. I'm really nervous. I spent yesterday disinfecting the dog crate I've bought to keep them in post op. I'm going to set it up inside today. I've got vetbed to line it with and blankets.
What should I expect after they come home?
What can I use in their litter tray? I have been using newspaper, wood flakes and hay. Will that be ok post op?

They will be very quiet and probably just want to sit. You should expect the vet to give you pain relief for them and be prepared to syringe feed them just in case you need to. Get a few bits of food that they find especially tasty (whether that's herbs, pellets etc) and tempt them with those when they get back.

Vet bed sounds great for them to sit on, then a little bit of hay on the side for them to have if they want.

Thanks.
Forgot to add I've already been shopping for their favourite veggies :)
How long before they SHOULD be eating and before I need to call the vet if they don't?

that's really hard to say... In my experience, if they've eaten nothing at all for four or five hours, then I would try to syringe feed them. When my bun ROsie had her spay, they burred her teeth as well and found quite a lot of problems in her ovaries. I had to syringe feed her for five days as she wouldn't eat herself. But my other bun Penelope was begging for food as soon as she came round from the anaesthetic!

I find having some dandelions washed in ice cold water tempts them. I use - foster buns so been through a few - ripped up newspaper in their litter tray which has been lined with more newspaper.

They shouldn't have a visible 'scar' as such with stitches but it should look like the join between two bits of carpet.:shock: in that way it is easier than a male neuter.

I find having some dandelions washed in ice cold water tempts them. I use - foster buns so been through a few - ripped up newspaper in their litter tray which has been lined with more newspaper.

They shouldn't have a visible 'scar' as such with stitches but it should look like the join between two bits of carpet.:shock: in that way it is easier than a male neuter.

I hate the thought of my little girls going through an invasive op like that but I know it's for the best in the long run :)

Awh good luck to them..
One of my guys didn't eat for about 5days after just a neuter. I had to handfeed him all that time so do be prepared to handfeed, have the sirrange etc ready.

Got my two girls booked in for their spay tomorrow. I'm really nervous. I spent yesterday disinfecting the dog crate I've bought to keep them in post op. I'm going to set it up inside today. I've got vetbed to line it with and blankets.
What should I expect after they come home?
What can I use in their litter tray? I have been using newspaper, wood flakes and hay. Will that be ok post op?

Hey Good Luck for the spay
Don't use wood flakes in the litter tray or bedding as these are very sharp and pointy and could poke the stitches and wound when your bunny sits or lies down on them.
:wave:

Hey Good Luck for the spay
Don't use wood flakes in the litter tray or bedding as these are very sharp and pointy and could poke the stitches and wound when your bunny sits or lies down on them.

Thanks. I did wonder whether they would be ok to use. To be fair I normally put a thick layer of hay on top so they don't actually sit on the flakes, but until they are better I might just leave it out.
How long before they can go back to 'normal' and in their hutch and run?

Thanks. I did wonder whether they would be ok to use. To be fair I normally put a thick layer of hay on top so they don't actually sit on the flakes, but until they are better I might just leave it out.
How long before they can go back to 'normal' and in their hutch and run?

I think another 1 month, so they can heal :]
Oh yea, don't add a level in the dog crate because if your bunny jumps she will loosen her stitches

I think another 1 month, so they can heal :]
Oh yea, don't add a level in the dog crate because if your bunny jumps she will loosen her stitches

I'm not adding a level.. I'm not that imaginative ;) lol.
My hutch is a 2 tier one with a ramp and no option of closing off the ramp, hence buying the dog crate. Will it be a month before they can go out in the run again? I also have a smaller puppy pen for restricted space if they were allowed outside.
How often should I clean them out while they are in the dog crate? I don't want to keep disturbing them. How do you clean out on vetbed? Lol. I know it can be washed but I meant daily.. If that makes sense?!

Good luck to you and the girls! :wave::) I have not got my girl done (will be getting done soon!) but when Domino got done, the first thing he did was hop round, and beg for food! :wave: :D

Good luck to you and the girls! :wave::) I have not got my girl done (will be getting done soon!) but when Domino got done, the first thing he did was hop round, and beg for food! :wave: :D

I must admit my girls do enjoy their food... I'm hoping they will be ok when they get home! Will they be allowed a treat ball or am I better just hand feeding? x

I must admit my girls do enjoy their food... I'm hoping they will be ok when they get home! Will they be allowed a treat ball or am I better just hand feeding? x

Not sure. I suppose, no offence, but if they're tired, they might just want to relax on their own. I put the food in their bowl and a about 45 mins later, it was gone and he was begging for food! :D

Not sure. I suppose, no offence, but if they're tired, they might just want to relax on their own. I put the food in their bowl and a about 45 mins later, it was gone and he was begging for food! :D

Oh I wasn't planning on hand feeding them.. I'm just thinking to try to get them interested. They normally use a bowl so I was going to continue this.. Unless they need syringe feeding but that's a whole different issue altogether lol

Back