• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think Alfie has a sore hock :(

KarenM

Administrator
Staff member
It's his 'good' leg (the other one was pinned last Feb) so I'm guessing he's been putting more weight on that one.

I thought sore hocks were raw looking and/or bleeding though but this has got a yellowish scab over the top so now I'm wondering if it's infected. :shock:

I'm ringing the vet as soon as they open and will get him in asap. I also need to quickly read up to see what sort of meds I should expect.

Sounds like it could be infected. I would imagine that you will get abx and some cream for the hock, like flammazine.

Vibes that it is not too bad x

I was just going to post a thread about sore hocks because I don't know if my rex rabbit suffers from it and how to tell?

My Billy gets sore hocks, if there is infection we found the best treatment was an injectable penecillin (depocillin) every 48 hours was brilliant. I know you have a kennel as I have been recently admiring it as thinking of getting one but you will need to cover the concrete floor, either in a thick layer of hay (which mine thought was a giant litter tray :roll:) or a soft flooring. I bought from ebay interlocking foam matting flooring, its cheap, great for hocks and easy to sweep / clean!

Good luck at the vets!

Just to add! Billy's got really bad and bled when he stamped his feet, is it is bleeding and there is no infection bandaging can help - Jack's Jane posted a brill thread yesterday about how to do this and what to use from the supermarket!

Thank you for the replies. :love: I didn't get to read any before I went as I rang the vet at 9 and had to leave home by 9.20 to get there. :shock::lol:

It's actually nowhere near as bad as I thought at the moment - it isn't infected, the scab I saw is just a thick scab of skin where it's trying to heal over. :oops: So his hock is sore, but doesn't need any medical treatment for now. However, we do need to look at the accomodation to stop it getting worse.

Becky, thank you for the suggestions. I have already ordered foam flooring and have covered the floor with straw for now (but as you said, I know they're going to pee all over it :roll:) as the foam will take a day or two to arrive.

The vet says Alfie seems to be using his 'bad' leg fine while walking etc so it seems to be more of a contact issue while he's resting.

Back