• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this 'rabbit treat' really suitable for rabbits?

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
My friend has bought Gordon a birthday present for him tomorrow which I thought was really sweet but me being me thought I'd best check if it was really suitable for them, it is made by woodlands which I've always found a good make in the past. It's a 'Rabbit shaped strawberry treat'.

Composition: cereals, vegetables, fruit, meat and animal derivatives, derivatives of vegetable origin.

I thought not because of the meat :? If it isn't is it actually suitable for any small animals? It says also suitable for guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils and mice so I can't give it to my rats then. I don't want to seem ungrateful because it was really nice of my friend so think I'll tell her I gave it to the buns and they enjoyed it anyway but don't want to give them something unsafe.

Well it likely wouldn't do any harm as such, but once you know there's something unsuitable in it, it's hard to give it to them isn't it?

I binned a Woodlands carrot shaped crunchie thing as it had the meat derivatives ingredients the same as yours and it put me right off tbh.

Maybe you could tell her that you gave it to them, but they didn't like it very much, just in case she spends her money on the same treat again?

Maybe you could tell her that you gave it to them, but they didn't like it very much, just in case she spends her money on the same treat again?

Ah, good idea :) She put it in a little bag as well :( Annoying that 'rabbit treats' are being sold when there not really suitable for rabbits, I'm sure I've probably given Beano treats like this before unknowing.

I wouldn't like to feed mine anything that had meat in it. I use Rosewoods carrotys as a treat. They don't have any meat derivatives in them.

Same as Blackberry & co. :):wave:

BTW Paulinejoe, where did Nutmeg come from?! :shock: I've been off RU for a few days (guests :roll:) but it seems I've missed a bun!! :shock:

My friend has bought Gordon a birthday present for him tomorrow which I thought was really sweet but me being me thought I'd best check if it was really suitable for them, it is made by woodlands which I've always found a good make in the past. It's a 'Rabbit shaped strawberry treat'.

Composition: cereals, vegetables, fruit, meat and animal derivatives, derivatives of vegetable origin.

I thought not because of the meat :? If it isn't is it actually suitable for any small animals? It says also suitable for guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils and mice so I can't give it to my rats then. I don't want to seem ungrateful because it was really nice of my friend so think I'll tell her I gave it to the buns and they enjoyed it anyway but don't want to give them something unsafe.

No.

You are better off making something yourself, or buying those bags of dried leaves? A fave treat can be herbs, like parsly and basil, or perhaps a treat hay.

I avoid ALL store bought treats, as none are what they seem to be. There arent enough laws restricting the sale of inappropriate treats. :roll:

Same as Blackberry & co. :):wave:

BTW Paulinejoe, where did Nutmeg come from?! :shock: I've been off RU for a few days (guests :roll:) but it seems I've missed a bun!! :shock:

Lol. Yes, we've acquired another bunster! The full story is here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=281079&highlight=paulinejoe

I still can't get any more piccies of her than whats in the post as she runs off in her box although she is getting a teensy bit less wary every day so hopefully will get some nice ones by the end of the week :) I caught her tonight completely laid out with her back legs sticking right out behind her but by the time i got next to the cage she's moved.

Oh! I get it now! I thought Jessie had a baby! :lol: Did wonder why a pregnancy for a bun would be so short! I was only off a few days! :shock: :lol:

Thankyou everyone. Yes I do stay away from pet shop treats, I've bought him a chill n' chew mat and some dandelion from the hay experts. I'm disapointed that my friend has kindly thought of getting Gordon something but unfortunately it isn't safe :(

Thats the cereal bowl with grassy stuff in it from P@H isn't it?

I saw them in P@H the other week, i personally wouldnt feed it as the ingredients are not 100% known, similar to TeflonsShadow - this is why (apart from FC's) i avoid all shop bought treats.

Thats the cereal bowl with grassy stuff in it from P@H isn't it?

I saw them in P@H the other week, i personally wouldnt feed it as the ingredients are not 100% known, similar to TeflonsShadow - this is why (apart from FC's) i avoid all shop bought treats.

My friend bought me it so don't know where it's from, I don't go to P@H or pet shops so haven't seen it before. It's like lots of seeds in the shape of a rabbit head. Won't be giving it to the buns though, don't want to give them something unsafe.

I find something like Burns meadow mix perfect for a treat for the buns. Healthy and they love it! :wave:

I left a review about this on the Pets at home website last year warning others about the ingrediants :lol:

Years ago when I was a kid my buns got lots of this style treat, but now my buns only really have the dried herbs or a willow ball. They don't even really go crazy for fenugreek crunchies :shock:

Back