• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cylap reactions

Hoppit!

Wise Old Thumper
Sorry, I know there are loads of threads which mention them, but I was wondering if everyone whose bun has had a noticable reaction to the Cylap vaccine could post the symptoms here. My own boys had a horrible reaction (the reason I found RU!) and I've heard enough about it on here to know it's best avoided. My sister is a vet and her practice uses Cylap. I'm wanting to gather some more info for her. Thanks!

eric's due his tomorrow. my vet uses cylap. hoping he doesn't react badly to it. he's usually just a bit quiet for a while afterwards and i did notice a slight limp once. esme had hers about a month ago and she was fine.

There are two types of reaction. The first is a skin reaction. eg a bald spot, scab, sore etc. The other is soreness in their legs.

Personally I've only seen one reaction and that was when one of my buns was limping around the day after, much like she had arthritis or something.

I'm hoping I'll be able to ask my vet to use a different vaccination when we go next month, Beano has had one so far and it was Cylap and she was fine, not quiet or anything but now I know about reactions I'd rather be safe and use a different vaccine.

Mine were always a bit lethargic after the Cylap one. And one time I noticed one of the lops limping slightly. They aren't lethargic at all after the Anivac one though.

All four Boys were really drowsy after their Cyclap VHD last autumn, Clover stopped eating, and Butters got the Cyclap limp.

Lady had Cyclap recently and was absolutely fine.

I will be asking for a different vaccine when the Boys are due again.

Peanu was off colour for 2 days after having Cylap, vet had changed to Anivac when Roo was done and he was fine, no reaction at all.

Have PM'd you, my vet stopped using Cylap completely following my experience and now use Lapinject, all of mine have that now and even the ones worst affected with Cylap have never had a reaction.

Ralph got a skin reaction to Cylap, a big bald patch by his neck that was very red and refused to heal. The light went out of his eyes and he looked "under the weather" for a few days too.

Last time Pie had Cylap she stopped eating and went into stasis. :( She is not due until July but I am really wondering if it will be worth it for her.

Both Dudley and Daisy were very off colour they sat hunched up and werent interested in food and looked very unwell for a couple of days.

Not a little limp

My bun Dolly has developed a limp 24 hours after the jab and is still suffering, she looks really uncomfortable, I've been reading so much about the so called VHD limp that it seems far too much of a coincidence for it not to be that and I'm just praying it will go away in the next day as most people say it will. It's pretty scary that this is the standard vaccine when it seems to cause so many reported problems and I wish I'd researched the alternatives before taking her in. :(

My bun Dolly has developed a limp 24 hours after the jab and is still suffering, she looks really uncomfortable, I've been reading so much about the so called VHD limp that it seems far too much of a coincidence for it not to be that and I'm just praying it will go away in the next day as most people say it will. It's pretty scary that this is the standard vaccine when it seems to cause so many reported problems and I wish I'd researched the alternatives before taking her in. :(

Poor darling. :( It was my boys getting the limp that lead me to RU, as I'd never heard of it til I found this site. My poor Ginger Bun couldn't hop for several days without falling over. It's an evil concoction and it ought to be banned, or at least come with a warning! It my last as long as a week, but it will go. Just be sure to tell your vet, and ask them to use 'Anivac' in future.

Welcome to RU anyway, we'd love to see piccies of your girl.

Thanks so much for the reply, to know it may last a week really helps as in most cases they seemed to say 2 days. I will sort my profile to show pics of my two asap :). Will also re-post if and when her limp goes and will just continue spending as much time with her as possible. She is new to the family and still doesn't really like being stroked, which is the complete opposite to all other buns I know so I don't even feel like I can console her right now :(

Limp gone in a week

Just wanted to update this post to confirm that it took just over a full week for Dolly's leg to get back to normal. Her limp was much better by about day 6 but the swelling didn't go down fully til day 8. It was only once she got back to jumping on the bed etc that I really realised just how much it had affected her, she had been so still and upset looking for that whole time :(. Now she's going through the recovery of a Spay poor little thing hasn't had much of a fun time with us so far!

Spenser was a bit off after cylap last year, and had a small local reaction on the back of his neck. He's due again at the end of the month. Actually he's a bit overdue but he was ill and I was advised to postpone his boosters. My bbit was VERY drowsy after his first VHD vaccination, and interestingly he had lapinject.

Hi, Our 2 month old mini lops had cyclap yesterday and are now in the vets having developed temps of over 39 and almost in state of collapse. Our vets didnt give us a choice of vaccine...but will make sure I as next time...as new to rabbit keeping what is the usual outcome from this jab do all rabbits go off colour? My two girls keep giving me the evil eye as its my fault they had the jabs in the first place....

Back