• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

After touching a myxi bunny, what do I have to do before I touch my own rabbits?

Wash - lots. At least a shower, and change your clothes. I would disinfect shoes as well. Take no risks with anything.

Myxi is spread by fleas. Providing you have no fleas on you that might be transferred to your rabbits, there will be no danger. To be certain, change your clothes and have a shower.
I am assuming your rabbits are vaccinated against Myxi?

Wash your hands before you touch anything. Shower, wash hair etc. Change your clothes and wash the clothes you were wearing on as high a temperature as possible.
I think Id get someone else to feed and clean my buns for 24hrs aswell, but thats probably over cautious :oops:
I hope the myxi bun you touched is ok? :(

yes buns are vaccinated against myxi. I touched two rabbits with myxi on the way home. One ran off a a policecar stopped by my parked car and told me to get back in the car, and another had been run over and wasn't dead, so I ran it over again :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Today has been a :censored: nightmare. I have seen 4 rabbits killed today.

Back