• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you react when

How do you respod?

• Use the "You can skin my rabbit when i can skin your firstborn" retort

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Join in - it's a harmless joke

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • Ignore them - it's not worth the effort

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • "Yawny - you are soooo clever" *rolls eyes*

Votes: 36 45.0%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 10 12.5%

• Total voters

Grin

Wise Old Thumper
..you get the old "rabbit stew" comments??

You know the type (and we've prob all had them) about skinning and gravy and being nice for the pot etc

They just wash over me now, don't bother me at all.

If I'm in a particularly narky mood I might comment on how very original the person is being. That usually makes them look uncomfortable, they always seem to think they're the first person ever to come up with it :roll:

I do have a friend however who makes occasional jokes about turning my buns into gloves and I laugh too....with him I know he's just messing around, he was really concerned when Sorrel was poorly and kept asking for updates. (Because he cared, not because he wanted gloves ;) )

usually i laugh very falsely and tell them that i've never heard that one before, they are soooooo funny with such original jokes. usually shuts em up.

the way i feel right now.........i'd tell em to :censored: :oops:

I tell them that mine wouldn't taste too good as they're too old! ;)

I've no experience in it, but I do believe that rabbit used for consumption usually has to be quite young to taste any good.

If I had a pound for everytime someone has said that to me I'd be a millionaire :lol: I usually just laugh it off and jokingly say 'How about I put you in a pot instead' :) xxx

dont really fuss me... infact only the other day ste was laffing with his two pals about pigeon soup (we was having a break outside the hostel and theres a pigeons nest close by) then he said he saw two bunnies playing on the field by the castle so ofcourse the joke went to rabbit pie.... trying so hard to get a rise out of me :roll:

what i said "its no worse than eating baby sheep" that shut em up especially as one said yeah i agree eating baby sheep is so wrong :lol: :lol:

1 - 0 to Donna me thinx

They just wash over me now, don't bother me at all.

If I'm in a particularly narky mood I might comment on how very original the person is being. That usually makes them look uncomfortable, they always seem to think they're the first person ever to come up with it :roll:

I do have a friend however who makes occasional jokes about turning my buns into gloves and I laugh too....with him I know he's just messing around, he was really concerned when Sorrel was poorly and kept asking for updates. (Because he cared, not because he wanted gloves ;) )

Your post made me laugh. On the weekend i had a comment about OH using both my slowcookers for my buns when i'm away - but it wasnt meant nastily and it was said by someone who cares a lot for them. I think they felt very silly when i rolled my eyes. :lol:

It never really bothers me. I joke about turning them into slippers if they nom another cable. It's not fair for me to joke and then get annoyed at everyone else.:|

It never really bothers me. I joke about turning them into slippers if they nom another cable. It's not fair for me to joke and then get annoyed at everyone else.:|

This. I pretend to laugh, but it doesnt bother me. I always joke with OH that if they chew I'll whack em in a pie, so I cant judge others for saying ti to me!

Usually come out with "wow, you are so f***ing original. I don't hear that a lot in the slightest!" *rolls eyes*
Or come out with the "I'll skin your first born." comment.

haha this too... i always threaten Alvin with the pot... my fave song to sing to him was "run rabbit" :oops: also sometimes them jokes help.... the lad i used to work with offered to help end Pearl for me when she was really poorly to save the cash of vets, laffing about my hell was so much easier than having to accept sympathy off people.

I'm usually just fake laugh and roll my eyes.
Unless its my dad in which case I hit him or something, 'cos he knows how much I hate it. :lol:
And one of my friends sometimes jokes but I just answer back with something far more original and funny. :lol:
xx

I usually find the yawny method works best, but I have been known to threaten to comment on how tasty peoples children would also be :oops::lol:

Just come out with:"Haha, very funny(!)" ... then this bit slips out :oops: "My name's bugs bunny(!)" :oops: If someone used it as a threat (not joking) I'd whack him/her round the head with a frying pan :wave:

Other.

I've never had the rabbit stew comment or the skinning comment or any negativity in that way. I've had they're just rabbits but that's the worst.

I pity those that say 'they're just rabbits'; they'll never experience the love and joy bunnies can bring. More fool them.

I had to put up with it again this morning at the end of a meeting I spotted a note on someones note pad that said rabbit vet so sparked a convo about her poorly bunny, another person butted in and started making wise cracks about why bother it's just a rabbit, skin it, put it in a pie etc etc normally I make a point of saying 'my rabbits are my children I wouldn't consider eating them anymore than you'd eat your own children!' however today I noticed the guy had a few teeth missing and through a false smile I threatened to knock a few more out :lol:

I punch them. Straight in the face.

But in all seriousness I usually come back at them with a better joke ;)

Join in. Also get the "offender" to offer them a favorite treat:D

I got my "charming" brother to feed Sally a pellet high up to make her periscope and walk on her back legs. Much to his embarrassment he squealed "Oh my god that's adorable":lol: He still hasn't lived it down:D

This method has worked previously on other people too:)

I tell them that mine wouldn't taste too good as they're too old! ;)

I've no experience in it, but I do believe that rabbit used for consumption usually has to be quite young to taste any good.

^ Yep, that's what I usually say too. :)

Sometimes I do the eye rolling, sarcastic laugh thing. Next time I'm definitely going for option 1! :wave:

Back