• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you feel when you take your bunnies to the vet??

Bitzy

Mama Doe
I hate it and I feel awful because they get soooo stressed about it. My vet is a 45 min drive away and they hate being in the car!

I've not yet had to take them for an emergency visit (although we're going tomorrow which is quite short notice as I'm a tad worried about Dizzi's lady-bits so have booked them in) and I would imagine if that ever happens then I'll just be more concerned about getting them the care and treatment they need.

But for routine appts like vaccs, nail trims etc I feel like the most mean bunny mummeh in the world!

I'm sure I'm probably not alone in feeling like this ...... so how do you feel and what do you do to make yourself and your bunnies feel better?? x

i hate it.. i put it off as long as i can even tho it plays on my mind and then when the appointment is booked i cant sleep for days before.

Holly proved me right last time, it was only for claw clipping but within a week she did an evening of hunger strike where she had been fine before going the vets :(

I'm so grateful my bunnies don't get stressed at the vets.

Dan & Clo positively show off, and don't mind the journey.

Butters isn't keen on the car, but is very well behaved.

Lady is another show off :lol:

And Blackie was the biggest show off of all - he used be allowed to poke his head out of the top of the carrier if the waiting room wasn't busy, and the receptionists all loved him :love:

Our local branch is only 5 mins away by car, and it's 20 - 25 mins to the hospital, so we are very lucky.

I hate it, all of mine hate going to the vet :( Mimi totally freezes and Max and Timmy totally freak and then I feel even worse ciz I have to help restrain them :cry: I only take them if its completely unavoidable :(
Good luck for tommorrow :wave:

if its esme and just routine, no probs. she's easy to catch, doesn't get too stressed and travels well. next time she needs a dental though, i'll be terrified:(

eric = nghtmare. he can take an hour to catch, gets mega stressed etc. its horrible.

oh, and eric's due his vhd jab tomorrow too - unless it turns into a dental instead as he'd developed an unexpected spike a couple of weeks ago that we're watching. i feel sick either way!

I feel awful. Our vets is literally 2 mins away and Buckley HATES it, probably not helped by the walking...

We're going to register with the practice Jason Burgess is at because it's only a 20 minute round trip away, I think Buckley will prefer it because it's a car journey, not a walking journey and she was fine when we went in the car with her when we got her.
xo

Its awful isn't it!! I'm actually thinking of maybe changing vets purely because of the travelling.

There's a vet that's only a 10 min drive from me that I used to take my budgies to and they were very good.

However, a budgie isn't a rabbit and so far I haven't had any recommendations for them from bunny owners ..... only cat and dog owners!!

Now if I could just win that damned lotto and move house ..... problem solved!! :lol:

I hate it for routine things too because they are happily playing away then the next minute they're in the car, which they hate then they get jabbed with a needle and have things poked in their mouth etc so by the time they get home they are so stressed and upset.

For emergency treatment its not as bad because they absolutely have to go and the stress is outweighed by the benefit of them getting better and hopefully realising that was why they needed to go.

I think the worst time was taking Joejoe for his bits seeing to, i felt awful leaving him there like that :(

i hate the waiting room. I don't mean the waiting room isn't nice I mean I just hate the waiting bit. I'm the same at the doctors. All of mine bar Smudge are ok with travelling.

Neither me or George mind the vets too much, it's the trip there that's the effort :( 3 buses for a vet that's about 2 miles away. But it's too far to walk cause he's a heavy ******

My problem was always with the smells in the waiting room, and dogs trying to sniff the carrier, often with some owner going 'oh, he won't hurt it!' (ummm...don't care, my bun is getting stressed) Schumi was a very laid back bun but even he got stressed out by it. And people always like to try and poke the carrier to see what you have in there! :roll:

I used to wait outside in the end, much less stressful for all concerned.

Oh, my piggie was a Drama Queen. Vet didn't have to go anywhere NEAR him and he'd start squealing the place down :roll:. I think he used to do it for attention - he'd always get lovely cuddles from the vet nurse!

But no, vets always stressful, buns always got loads of free range time and foodie treats afterwards because we felt so guilty about putting them through it!

;)

i don't like it very much.

i hate that people with strange dogs seem to think it's ok to correct you "lucas, over here, stay away from that dog please" "oh it's ok, he won't bite him"
yeah, well i don't care. my son, my decision. he gets bitten, the buck stops with me. if i want him to stay away from a dog, it's my decision!!!

snowball doesn't seem to mind it though, he gets lots of attention, everyone loves him lol

My problem was always with the smells in the waiting room, and dogs trying to sniff the carrier, often with some owner going 'oh, he won't hurt it!' (ummm...don't care, my bun is getting stressed) Schumi was a very laid back bun but even he got stressed out by it. And people always like to try and poke the carrier to see what you have in there! :roll:

I used to wait outside in the end, much less stressful for all concerned.

Oh, my piggie was a Drama Queen. Vet didn't have to go anywhere NEAR him and he'd start squealing the place down :roll:. I think he used to do it for attention - he'd always get lovely cuddles from the vet nurse!

But no, vets always stressful, buns always got loads of free range time and foodie treats afterwards because we felt so guilty about putting them through it!

;)

Bit like his namesake then :lol::lol:

It makes me laugh at the emergency vets. There is a space for cat owners and their pets and a space for dog owners and their pets and that's it. Makes it seem like we have to stand! :lol:

Fortunately at our normal vets the room is nice and big and we can sit away from the dogs.

I hate it. Sophie has to go regularly for bottom clipping which I find stressful enough so I usually leave Rosie at home because she is an absolute nightmare to catch, travel & at the vets. I know people advise you to take bonded pairs together, but I don't think it's fair to put Rosie through the stress unnecessarily.

When I have to take them both I get myself all wound up inside - silly I know :roll:

I'm the same with the cats as they are so loud it's embarrassing!! :oops:

Fortunately the dog is good as gold, so I don't give it a second thought :D

I hate taking Biscuit, but Ginger never really minds, she loves the attention she gets. Her vet picks her up and carries her round the room with him while he's typing on the computer or looking things up.

She actually jumps into his arms whenever she sees him. I knwo she remembers him each time.

I hate it, I feel so guilty. Both of mine are going today for their myxi jabs and it's a vet I haven't seen before so I'm dreading it. (she's a rabbit vet so I should be okay).

It's only a 5-10 min journey luckily, but Pebbles will hate going. Barnaby is more confident but this is only his 2nd time going since I got him.

I'd ordered a new Cabrio carrier too and it hasn't arrived so I'm stuck with the one they know and hate :roll:

I hate taking Biscuit, but Ginger never really minds, she loves the attention she gets. Her vet picks her up and carries her round the room with him while he's typing on the computer or looking things up.

She actually jumps into his arms whenever she sees him. I knwo she remembers him each time.

Mini always tries to get up behind Mark's computer :lol: :lol: One of these days she'll get there and nibble a lead I know it. :lol:

Mini always tries to get up behind Mark's computer :lol: :lol: One of these days she'll get there and nibble a lead I know it. :lol:

Ah, computer is wall mounted at our vet, so no chance of that. We actually let Biscuit out to run around the floor at the vets each time we go as he hates being caged/in the carrier at all so he feels better and vice versa if Biscuit's the one being looked at.

Bless Mini :love: i just started a thread for you :)

Ah, computer is wall mounted at our vet, so no chance of that. We actually let Biscuit out to run around the floor at the vets each time we go as he hates being caged/in the carrier at all so he feels better and vice versa if Biscuit's the one being looked at.

Bless Mini :love: i just started a thread for you :)

Answered :thumb:

Smudge ran round at the emergency vets. That particular vet doesn't like examining rabbits on the table. There's me saying 'he's a bit lethargic' then he goes and completely explores the whole exam room. :roll:

I hate taking my buns. All of them shake the minute I put them in the carrier and get incredibly stressed - the vet has commented when he checks their hearts on how fast they are beating:(

I do really weigh it up before I make an appointment to make sure I need to go and that it's not something that will correct itself. Trouble is buns are such fragile little beings:(

Having the vet come to me when five of them were due their myxi jabs made such an incredible difference. I could tell it was the journey and being at the vet that stressed out the buns, not the jab. They all nommed straight away afterwards and were not stressed at all.

I am now trying to combine all eight jabs so none of them have to travel - means getting some done slightly late and some slightly early but eventually they will tie up.

I find generally that if I take a bun's companion along too, that helps the poorly bun - but it then stresses out another bun needlessly so that needs weighing up too.

If it's an emergency or a bun is clearly unwell, it's a much easier decision than if a bun has a tiny scratch or cut, for example.

Back