• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

use of chipboard MFC for indoor rabbit hutch.help?

i have a baby bun who is a giant french lop.he is in training to be a house bunny. :) i have an outside hutch for him that i built myself and its huge made from the same wood sheds are made from.My brother is a kitchen manufacturer and has kindly offered to build me a indoor rabbit house for my house bunny to hop into for sleep and food and for night times when we put him safely away. he has asked me though if mfc chipboard is ok for a bun but i havent a clue if it is or not and need some advice asap. :? ive searched for ages through the net and have found that in germany it is safe and can be safe elsewhere but im not too sure.ive heard of people lining an mfc hutch with things such as carpet tiles to prevent gnawing.really need some advice please as really dont want my baby getting poorly. xxx

MDF isn't really suitable since most buns will gnaw at at least some corners. MDF is made of dusty stuff held together with glue which could make your rabbit ill if they ate it. It also wouldn't survive being weed on very well.

If it was just structural and was covered by carpet and also some other stuff for the sides then it might be okay.

ahhh ok,,,,,,

so, what if i line the inside with carpet tiles? would this be ok? :?
also my bunny is doing well at his potty training and goes nearly everytime to his potty to do his doodoos, couldn't i line the bottom of the hutch with stick down wipeable tiles? sorry bout all these questions lol. but im desperae for reliable answers x

MDF isn't really suitable since most buns will gnaw at at least some corners. MDF is made of dusty stuff held together with glue which could make your rabbit ill if they ate it. It also wouldn't survive being weed on very well.

If it was just structural and was covered by carpet and also some other stuff for the sides then it might be okay.
not MDF i mean Melamine Faced Chipboard (MFC). its different to mdf. its the boards that kitchen carcas' are made of. xxx

Stick on tiles aren't very good. The rabbits will pull them up because they can easily get their teeth around the edges of each tile. You'll also get dirt and wee seeping through the gaps.

You could use a large piece of tile, or a large piece of non-slip vinyl flooring (lino).

MFC would also be easily destroyed by buns, so I would only use it if they can't get to it. It would probably be simpler to make a timber frame and use plywood for the walls.

Back