• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dizzi's lady-bits - U/D: Back from vets

Bitzy

Mama Doe
I'm a bit worried about Dizzi's lady-bits. :shock:

I noticed today that one of the buns had weed on the carpet, something that they NEVER do!

So I thought I'd just give them a quick check over. When I looked Dizzi over, her lady bits seemed to have a bit of gunk round them (it was a bit like a yellow discharge type thing) but as I have no idea of what I'm actually looking at/for I decided to book them in to the vets!! I cleaned the area up with some cooled boiled water on cotton wool but it really didn't look very nice - there wasn't loads of it but I would imagine that even a bit of it shouldn't be there!!?!

They need their nails clipping anyway so figured I'd book them in for that and then just ask the nurse to have a quick look, am sure if they think its not quite right they'll book me in with a vet! (we have an appt tomorrow morning).

I know that sometimes the scent glands can get a bit gunked up but I have no idea how close to the lady-bits they are!!

Sooo, just wondered, if anyone has a pic of what Dizzi's bits should look like.

She seems fine in herself and is eating, drinking and pooping as normal but she did have a little bit of mucky fur around her bum but this was dry and came off quite easily with the soaked cotton wool.

Any ideas??

Last edited:
Really sorry-no idea, I only have a boy bun, so only know what his bits look like. :oops:
Just bumping this up so someone with more knowledge than me will see it! :)

The scent gland secretions really smell. Gertie's needed hers cleaning in the past, though thankfully, she's not needed it recently. I gently used a cotton bud and vasaline to gently clean the area.

Jane you're a star!! Thank you sooo much, looking at those pics I'm pretty sure it was scent gland secretion that I saw!!

So next question is, why does this happen - is it normal for them to get a bit gunked or is it a sign that she has some sort of problem? And do I need to do anything other than gently clean it?

They seldom cause a problem but some Rabbits scent glands can become very full so gently cleaning them out is a good idea.

The scent gland secretions really smell. Gertie's needed hers cleaning in the past, though thankfully, she's not needed it recently. I gently used a cotton bud and vasaline to gently clean the area.

Thank you - Yeah it didn't smell particularly pleasant but it wasn't a really strong smell, I could only smell it when I started cleaning the area.

Well we're back from the vets, showed the nurse Dizzi's lady-bits after she'd clipped her nails and she took her off to show the vet. Came back and said that yes there was some scent gland secretion but also she may not have been cleaning herself properly and there may be an infection. :shock:

She's said I'm to keep a close eye on it for a day or two, carry on cleaning the area and if it doesn't clear up, then she'll need a course of antibiotics.

When the nurse weighed her she was 2.9 kilos ..... in December she was only 2.4!! :shock: Could the increase in weight be the reason she may not be cleaning herself??? Or would it take more of a weight gain for that to happen?? :?

Anyway, they're going on a diet. Rascal was 2.7 kilos so they've both porked out a bit - probably because they've not been as active indoors as they were outdoors. :? Good job they're going back out soon! :)

Well we're back from the vets, showed the nurse Dizzi's lady-bits after she'd clipped her nails and she took her off to show the vet. Came back and said that yes there was some scent gland secretion but also she may not have been cleaning herself properly and there may be an infection. :shock:

She's said I'm to keep a close eye on it for a day or two, carry on cleaning the area and if it doesn't clear up, then she'll need a course of antibiotics.

When the nurse weighed her she was 2.9 kilos ..... in December she was only 2.4!! :shock: Could the increase in weight be the reason she may not be cleaning herself??? Or would it take more of a weight gain for that to happen?? :?

Anyway, they're going on a diet. Rascal was 2.7 kilos so they've both porked out a bit - probably because they've not been as active indoors as they were outdoors. :? Good job they're going back out soon! :)

Yes, being overweight can definitely effect a Bun's ability to clean themselves.

God I feel awful ....... have just done the 'clean up' for today.... poor Dizzi she hated every minute of it!! The scent glands were awful!! It took me ages too, poor thing! :(

I think she may end up hating me forever because I'm gonna have to do it again tomorrow if she's gunked!!! (although I'm doubting the scent glands will need doing, just the other 'bits')!

Are her scent glands likely to get gunked up on a regular basis or will she clean them herself?? (when she's lost a bit of weight)??

My Matilda is having the exact same discharge!! shes had antiiotics but its not stopped! she put on weight whilst having her baby so, waiting untill baby is fully weened, as she will be on a strict diet to get her back into shape!

im really hoping this will stop her messyness and her not cleaning, bathing her is stressful for me and her! x

Back