• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to diagnose respiratory infections? - U/D

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
Is it just based on the symptoms observed, or can the vet do any tests, to confirm 100% that an infection is present?

Background:

Skye has had a couple of mild respiratory infections before, that cleared up with Baytril.

She sneezes sometimes, but she has *always* been an occasional sneezer, since I got her 18 months ago - often she sneezes when she's got her face in the hay or in Apache's fur, but sometimes just at random.

She sometimes has a little dampness on that vertical bit that goes from their nose to their mouth. It's not mucus-y, just like water, only a tiny bit, and it comes and goes. Sometimes I'm not sure if she's maybe just got a bit of water on her from the water bowl.

We're going to the vets on Wed for vaccs and I'll ask about it then. If she does have a low level resp infection I don't want to leave it untreated in case it does permanent damage. But if she doesn't, I don't want her put on abx unecessarily. I just wondered if there's a way to tell for certain.

(Yes, hopefully my vet will know this - but I like to research in advance!)

Last edited:
They can do nasal swabs but she probably would need to be put under for this. Hope you get some answers at the vets.

C&S (Culture & Sensitivity) Test.

That should give the vet an idea of what bacteria it is and what ABx it would be susceptible to.

These can be done while very much conscious, no need to go under for it if bun is appeasable :wave:

We're just back from the vet, saw my favourite vet who was very good and gave her a thorough examination. She does have an infection but it's at a very very low level - she's on treatment so we can hopefully "nip it in the bud"

Poor Skye, usually when I put her in her carrier it's to go and graze on the lawn, this time she got a thermometer up her bottom :oops:

Thanks all for your help :wave:

Back