• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any experience of no toilets for 4 weeks?!

redcat555

New Kit
Anyone any experience of a rabbit not poo’ing for 4 weeks ?

At first our rabbit went 5 days without pooping before being taken to our vets to get her checked. They did a check her over, felt tummy (extremely bloated), took temp (norm) and checked teeth (fine)and sent her away with some oral meds, baytril, metacam and some liquid food

After another week she was still not doing the toilet and looking very down in herself and no matter what foods we tried she wouldn’t eat as much as she used too and no matter what exciting foods we tried to tempt her with. The most she did was take a little nibbles and then give up. She still had 110% attitude, she’s a stoic wee thing. She was at this point starting to have what I can only describe at the ‘shakes’ she would be lying resting and start vibrating/shaking. She was however drinking and still had a lot of life. But the weight was dropping off her.

We went back again to vets but I just felt they were only interested in PTS, I would normally agree if she still didn’t have the life left she had and was showing. Hard to explain but it didn’t feel right to choose that option yet. This time we put our foot down and got a x ray to give a bit more light on the situation rather then guessing. X ray came back clear, no blockages and to be honest she wasn’t bloated anymore but still no poo’s. we got given some more meds and told no change back to be PTS

We went home and had another week of meds, still no poops, but still enough life and attitude. 4th and final week it was all or nothing, I took her off meds as I wanted to see how much pain she was in and if she would show us if she needed PTA. We tried a million diff green veg options, everything and anything she could eat, by the end of the week we started to have body functions again, small at first but now we have at last our poop machine back and her appetite is right back to normal.

We have no idea tho what it was ? how to prevent in future? Could it happen again?

Any one else had this experience?

Only thing I am happy of is we never PTS which we could easily have done – having that control over life is really not something I like the responsibility of and knowing what decision to make.

A lot of gut issues are diet related, could you share what her normal diet is? Is really hard to pin point a cause with something like this as many things can make a bun unwell and then end up in a cycle of not wanting to eat. Sometimes changes to diet can minimise the future risk though.

Back