• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do everyone with pairs or trios do to ensure everyone gets there food.

MichelleGsPets

Alpha Buck
I'll be putting my three boys together maybe this week, if not next week depending on when I get a chance to organise the cages. But I'm a bit worried as how can I ensure that they all get the correct amount of pellets and veggies and one doesn't eat too much pellets or doesnt eat enough pellets etc.

Cooper is a slow eater, he goes for pellets before his vegetables when I feed him. He usually just eats a bit of pellets, a small amount of the veggies and leaves them for later and then eats it over a period of time.

Marley is a fast eater, he will eat everything in his bowl so quickly, by the time C&D have there food bowls gotton, Marleys is empty.

Dexter then is fussy, unless he gets his protion of veggies he won't eat his pellets or hay, its as if he goes on strike. Then afterthe veggies he will eat all his pellets. All in one sitting.

So I'm worried when the three go together how do I make sure that Cooper eats the right amount and that the other two dont eat it al first, or that Dexter gets his veggies but theres still enough pellets left for him after and that Marley doesnt eat everything on the other two. LOL.

What do those with more than one pairs or trios do to ensure everyone gets the correct amount?

I've always found that the slow eaters will eat much quicker when there is competition around so it normally not an issue.

With Bluebell who is poorly he gets a supliment feed when he has his meds.

I feed veggies in the morning and pellets on a night, and I've abandoned food bowls in favour of just scattering the pellets all over. This seems to work, then I just keep an eye on either weight. I figure so long as no ones loosing or gaining then they are fine.

mine never eat everything straightaway.

i put a few pellets in a dish then scatter some. the veggies they all dive in for the things they like, but they all like different so again not really an issue.

just make sure there is plenty of hay all the time and they will sort out the rest themselves... nobun will miss out. :)

If the competition element doesn't make him eat faster, you could always keep some back and hand feed him. I do this with Mac because Albie eats so quickly. :)

I scatter feed everything and they are all a good weight. If one was needing a bit extra then they would be taken out separately but so far I haven't had to.:wave:

For Maisie I usually give her a sneakly little handful of pellets every now and again because Marvin is a pellet hoover!

I scatter feed everything and they are all a good weight. If one was needing a bit extra then they would be taken out separately but so far I haven't had to.:wave:

:thumb:

I scatter feed all their food. They run around getting what they can.

For health reasons, i have to give one a little more and some special pellets, so she has those while seperated temporarily from her bonded husbun :)

I put two handfulls of nuggets in a bowl at 5 ish and they get straight in there. Lots off hay all the time, fresh morning and night and veg morning and at night to get them in the hutch. They seem good at sharing, sometime there is a bit of a chase around for a bit of veg, which I dont understand because I always give enough for both of them.:roll:

Back