• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another round of slow gut / GI issues for buns?

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
There has been a definately noticable trend of stasis / GI Issues for buns in the last month.

Is there any one thing that this can be attributed to?

Are all the affected buns eating spring grass at all? Or am i clutching at straws?

I feel so much for the people with frequent stasis buns :(

Well my buns have been eating the grass but then they do all year round. More so at the moment though- it is possible. Mmmmm........... Now that Honey appears to be in stasis could be connected.:(

Mine wasn't the grass as my two are house buns, I only actually started to feed grass to Bobby after, just little bits.

I think it's to do with changing light and moult myself

Its coming up to the bank holiday, they are getting ready to go on strike when the vets are closed :evil: Ive just put in an order for Metacam and Metaclop just incase :lol:

i think its the changing weather... it goes from roasting hot to freezing cold in the space of hours... house bunnies especially must suffer this changing weather as they are kept in artificial heat. altho when i did a poll the bunnies who have tummy issues were both outside and inside buns :?

you'll go mad trying to figure it out, i been at it for almost 4 years now and am still no closer to answers, Alvin tested abnormally high for the stress hormone so i assume any change in routine, weather or diet will push him over the edge into stasis if his good bacteria isn't at 110%

it was deffo the wind last time for Alvin :roll: and before that Holly had a go at hungerstrike within a week of visiting the vets... both amazingly moved to scotland from birmingham without a hint of stasis :?

oooooh i also notice Alvin loves scottish water, soon as i fill the bowl hes in there (not something he used to do) im hoping the extra drinking will keep the tummy moving better

Max hasnt had any grass atall yet this spring so his isnt related to that.
It must be the change in temperature, light exposure etc that makes them vulnerable.
He is moulting a hell of alot aswell which I dont think is a coincidence :(
i really do feel for bunny mums who have to deal with this alot, its horrible :(

I guess its different for everybun, but I'm going with the moulting influence from my experience.

Well Spenser wasn't too good before and for a couple of weeks after his neuter, but is now my greedy boy again. :) As long as he likes what is being offered, that is. :roll: I think the being moved about over the winter wasn't good for him, but it was the only way he could get exercise until the weather improved recently.

Jill & I have discussed this a lot Gray and we both believe it might be the weather. Can't really think of anything else. Bouncer has exactly the same to eat as Paw-Paw and they are both in the same part of the garden, treated in the same way, given the same amount of exercise etc etc. It's certainly very strange and a real worry :( I was very lucky that I was at home all day on Friday and got Bouncer to the vet early. I dread to think what state he would have been in otherwise :(

Sprocket has been allowed out on grass and has been getting quite a lot of weeds (cleavers, dandelions and red nettles) from the garden recently, but I think it was most likely a raspberry leaf cookie that did for him. He's okay now though :) He does seem to be feeling the heat a bit now and is spending the middle of the day in the kennel rather than the aviary, where I imagine it's a bit cooler.

Back