• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis?

BattleKat

Wise Old Thumper
This morning when I went to feed the buns lola was hunched in the litter tray. She often waits for me to hand feed her rather than going to the food bowls so I thought maybe that's what it was and offered her some nuggets, she sniffed but didn't eat them.
She moved a bit then flopped out so I tried to pick her up and see if she was ok - she just let me lift her which is virtually unheard of with lola.
when she jumped out of my arms she went and sat in the other litter tray right underneath the hay. She wouldn't eat nuggets, grass, dandelion leaves or dried apple which she loves so I tried phoning the vet who didn't have an appointment.
After about an hour of phoning different vets and not being able to get even an emergency an appointment until 10 to 3 (which I've booked) I went back out and she's eating absolutely fine. Wolfed down a couple of dandelions, ate a bunch of readigrass and some grass from the lawn.

Question is, if she's eating ok by then should I still take her to the vet or is it going to be a pointless expense? She had her myxo about 3 weeks ago and her front teeth were ok when they checked so I would guess this is/was stasis?

Just been out again (can't stay out there as I'm at work) and she's eaten some nuggets and I'm fairly sure she was eating hay when I opened the shed door.

Just been out again (can't stay out there as I'm at work) and she's eaten some nuggets and I'm fairly sure she was eating hay when I opened the shed door.

Hi hun :wave: Seems to be a lot of near misses with Stasis at the moment.

I would keep an eye, and if she is still eating cancel the vets, but just keep a watch.

She could have gotten over a bout of gas or tummy slow down her self maybe??

Her moving about might have sorted it.
Charlie once threatened a hunger strike, I got him to move about for 10 mins or so and after that he was ok. Maybe gas? :?

Check she's pooping too though. It's no good her eating if it's not coming out the other end, I learnt the hard way once with Pie.
Also make sure she keeps hydrated, IF she has got a touch of stasis I cannot stress this enough. Hydration is the key.

Check she's pooping too though. It's no good her eating if it's not coming out the other end, I learnt the hard way once with Pie.
Also make sure she keeps hydrated, IF she has got a touch of stasis I cannot stress this enough. Hydration is the key.

Absolutley

It's very difficult to judge when you have more than one bun but I'm fairly sure she is and the poops were a funny shape almost like they'd been joined together with fur so I'm going to guess it's related to her molt?
Pineapple juice is what you give for that, right?

I think I'm going to cancel the appointment as she seems ok now and my boss is already annoyed enough at me being on the rabbit forum during work hours let alone having time off over her. Such a difficult decision. :?:(

Keep a close eye on her & check her temperature. If she feels cold (inside her ears) get her warmed up asap. Gentle exercise & fluids are important. Hope she's ok :wave:

Keep a close eye on her & check her temperature. If she feels cold (inside her ears) get her warmed up asap. Gentle exercise & fluids are important. Hope she's ok :wave:
:shock:
She's been leaping off the top of the hutch and binkying around the run, should I confine her or is that just a good sign?

:shock:
She's been leaping off the top of the hutch and binkying around the run, should I confine her or is that just a good sign?

:lol: No I'd leave her be and let her carry on as normal. What I meant was if she didn't move for a while try and encourage her to have a hop about (assuming she wasn't in pain) as this can often get things moving again & help to disperse any gas. If she's binkying then she sounds 100% :D:wave:

Back