• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns in conservatories?

Kittykat23uk

Mama Doe
Hi does anyone here keep their bunnies in a conservatory in the winter time? if so did you have it built with them in mind and what did you have to consider? Has anyone experienced any problems with keeping bunnies in a conservatory (I.e. with it being too hot or too cold?).

My guinea pigs are in the conservatory but it doesn't comply with building regs and is open to the kitchen :oops:. It faces East so only gets direct sunlight until lunchtime and doesn't get too hot. But as a precaution we have put polystyrene sheeting in between all the wooden roof rafters which keeps the temperature to a normal level on exceptionally hot days. There is a radiator in there as well for cold winters nights.

In a conservatory the temperature rises and falls rapidly, even in winter and I'm not sure this would be a good idea with buns... However a conservatory with not too much glass or air conditioning and heating would be fine.

Personally I think they would have to have the option of moving to a different room if they needed to, definately in the daytime (gets warm even when its cold if its sunny) you might be okay with at night.

For comparison, when our conservatory is locked, bugs will die within a few hours in there, I imagine from overheating.

In a conservatory the temperature rises and falls rapidly, even in winter and I'm not sure this would be a good idea with buns... However a conservatory with not too much glass or air conditioning and heating would be fine.

Personally I think they would have to have the option of moving to a different room if they needed to, definately in the daytime (gets warm even when its cold if its sunny) you might be okay with at night.

For comparison, when our conservatory is locked, bugs will die within a few hours in there, I imagine from overheating.

Agree - If I had a South facing enclosed conservatory, there's no way I'd keep animals in it. It would just be far too hot - even on a sunny day in winter.

But if you had something like mine, which is to all intents and purposes an extension of the kitchen but with a plastic roof, then it's the same temperature as the rest of the house. It can still get a bit cold in the depths of winter so as well as the gas radiator, I also have a plug in oil filled radiator which I put close to their enclosure.

It's more the potential for it to get too hot in the winter time I'm most concerned about, since we have the kennel/shed for late spring through to autumn. The whole idea is to keep them somewhere where they are not going between freezing cold and a warm house to hopefully help with their snuffles. :? We don't really have a safe room in the house and I had hoped to get a conservatory put on the back to make more use of the garden anyway, and therefore thought it could also provide a more stable environment for the buns in the colder months.

Back