• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Soft, squishy, but formed faecal output

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Gingers, certainly.

Poops were fine yesterday, and all night (i monitor A LOT).

Noticed in both litter tray and on the floor in the office, some formed, but very soft and squishy, NON caecal poops. They are very dark also, very non-fibrous material.

She's munching hay like its going out of fashion, no dietary change at all, but her environment has changed slightly - they have gone from boarding back to home - but have been here since Saturday @ 10am so unless they have 72hr digestive tracts, i can't see it being that.

Any help gladly accepted. Have an outstanding call to the vet anyway, waiting for a call back so will ask, but wanted your opinions also.

Ta.

ETA: Took some pictures anyway...

Normal Poops (Yesterday):
P1040905Small.jpg

Soft Squishy Poops (Today):
P1040911Small.jpg

The litter tray is full of normal Biccy poops (slightly darker than Gingers normal ones, but normal for Biccy) and LOADS of these softer, squishy ones :(

Last edited:
I don't know but I hope she starts pooping better soon, is she eating more pellets than usual?
It's hard to give any advice because I know Ginger has an ongoing condition and I'm quite new to bunnies. Is she drinking normally? Has the vet got back to you yet?

No idea Graham, sorry, I hope she feels better soon. She's not managed to eat anything around the house without you noticing has she?

Hopefully someone with more of an idea posts soon...

Has she been producing them for long? I often find the odd 'weird' looking poo, but if teh others are generally okay I tend to just assume they're okay.

Thats very odd looking. Almost looks like normal poop thats had water spilt over it rather than unformed poop. Sorry Gray, I've no idea. :?

Has she been producing them for long? I often find the odd 'weird' looking poo, but if teh others are generally okay I tend to just assume they're okay.

Every single one :(

Not seen a single normal fibrous poop today yet. Went and checked 20 minutes ago, and just more. Had to give her a quick clean up with some cooled boiled water :( She's never had a sticky bum issue before.

Thats very odd looking. Almost looks like normal poop thats had water spilt over it rather than unformed poop. Sorry Gray, I've no idea. :?

i know - it looks so wet and its really soggy to the touch. the broken down one was squished between my fingers (a rabbit forum really is the only place we can talk about poops isn't it?)

Have spoken to the vet, and he's asked me to monitor until tomorrow, if its still like this in the morning, she's going in to be looked at. She's just had more protexin pellets, and i've given her a small amount of profibre paste , which she greedily guzzled down under agreement with vet.

Nothing back from Langord yet :( He guesses it may be an administrative error or something, as theres nothing on their system to say its even been received. They are to call him wednesday by the latest re RTI etc.

Every single one :(

Not seen a single normal fibrous poop today yet. Went and checked 20 minutes ago, and just more. Had to give her a quick clean up with some cooled boiled water :( She's never had a sticky bum issue before.

Oh no! I thought that maybe she may have just wee'd on her poops or something :? If it makes you feel better Marvin had a mucky butt last week but his poos were normal within 12 hours so don't panic just yet!

Oh no! I thought that maybe she may have just wee'd on her poops or something :? If it makes you feel better Marvin had a mucky butt last week but his poos were normal within 12 hours so don't panic just yet!

Im not 'panicking' as such, just beginning my 'concerned' phase, hence asking on RU and phoning vet, rather than rushing her in.

Ginger has an iffy gut at times anyway, but this is the first time i've seen this. I've done some research and its almost like dysbiosis, but not quite bad enuogh to be classed as that :?

Im not 'panicking' as such, just beginning my 'concerned' phase, hence asking on RU and phoning vet, rather than rushing her in.

Ginger has an iffy gut at times anyway, but this is the first time i've seen this. I've done some research and its almost like dysbiosis, but not quite bad enuogh to be classed as that :?

Is she on antibiotics at the moment? Could she have eaten something off the floor you didn't intend her to?

I think at the moment it's a case of monitoring both her and her output. If you're not happy with either tomorrow ring the vets for advice. Hopefully they will let you know if you need to bring her in or not. I guess the stress of a vet visit may also not help.

Hope she's okay.

Is she on antibiotics at the moment? Could she have eaten something off the floor you didn't intend her to?

I think at the moment it's a case of monitoring both her and her output. If you're not happy with either tomorrow ring the vets for advice. Hopefully they will let you know if you need to bring her in or not. I guess the stress of a vet visit may also not help.

Hope she's okay.

No, she now hasn't been on abx for just over 2 weeks - and she hasn't got any worse really since coming off them, which just goes to show, stuffing her full of meds wasn't working, hence the contact to Langford for any other ideas.

Input and her general behaviour is very much 'Ginger'. She's bounding around like a lunatic, falling over, tripping over her own feet, and binkying to her hearts content. She's currently in the tray in my office demolishing yet more hay. Output is just this squishy horribleness - if its still there in the morning, we will be calling the vets again.

Stress + Ginger isn't usually a massive issue, but she's becoming wise to a lot of things and she is beginning to show what are, to me, classic signs of stress if i try to medicate her etc. She'll kick and bite, whereas she never used to. If its just a cuddle, she'll be fine, but if im holding a syringe, or anything like that, she really kicks off.

Glad she waited until i got back however, i much prefer doing this myself to leaving someone who doesnt know her to do it.

Thanks for posting :)

Sorry, i keep missing this question;

She's not eaten anything that she shuoldnt have that i can tell. I know their territory well and there is nothing that she would/could have eaten that would have caused this.

I make sure so carefully there is nothing dangerous around, and i can't see anything that has been chewed that shouldnt have, i spent a good half hour looking earlier :oops:

Is it possible whilst in boarding they fed her something that didn't agree with her?

Possible, but i expect not - i gave them a care sheet and expressed how imperrative (sp?) it was that they did NOT deter from my set out diet. I took everything of my own, supplied everything, and she had been fine up until today, which is whats bothering me :(

Hi Gray, sorry ive missed this until now :oops:
Could it be that the move from boarding has upset her a little? Would it be worth withholding pellets and veg for a few days until her poos are back to normal? Im thinking hay only might help, but obviously Im not sure if thats possible with her issues :?
Tons and tons of solid poop vibes xxx

Gray do you know what meds her culture said the pastrella was sensitive to? What does your vet feel about a nebuliser, its been a god send for us and because the anti biotics are being inhaled they've had no bad effects on Bluebells gut.

Gray do you know what meds her culture said the pastrella was sensitive to? What does your vet feel about a nebuliser, its been a god send for us and because the anti biotics are being inhaled they've had no bad effects on Bluebells gut.

Depocillin, which is the only thing that we could get to help her - BUT even on a fairly high dose (which i'll have to go back and look to see what it was) it wouldnt clear it. We were injecting 4 times a week and it wasn't clearing, and vet didnt feel comfortable, with her weight etc giving any more. So we tried Septrin and were thinking of Zithromax, but that comes with its own issues :/

He hadn't considered a nebuliser, but at the time we discussed it, we were waiting for Langford, so it'll be something to consider. :)

Thanks Amy :)

Back