• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Babies and bunnies

rachylou

Warren Veteran
As some of you know, I suffer with mental health illnesses and the past month has been catastrophic, to the point that my husband is now having to stay off work to care for me- it is all centered around the flat because of finding the bait box and I can not even go to the toilet on my own, that is how bad things have got. We can no longer afford to pay the rent so the solution may be to move in with my parents for a while, that way my husband can get back to work and we will be able to pay off a good smount of debt even beforevthe baby comes and in 6 months time be in a much better position.
The only possible problem would be that, Dan, me, Jimby, Cookie and baby would sll be sleeping in the lounge together, could this be a problem for the baby? We have an air purifier and the bunnies are kept very clean.

I would discuss the situation with your midwife. It certainly does not sound ideal. Could someone Foster Jims and Cookie for you ?

It's the right time of year that they could go outside. If you can get a cheap shed or your parents have one that would be ideal. :)

Also if it's rented accommodation and the doctors etc are aware of your situation you will be able to get housing benefits and that way you will not have to move.

Probably not the most ideal thing, but maybe ok with dust extracted hay and regullar grooming of buns to stop too much dust?

I was around cats all the time as a baby and I survived!

I could not bare to put them outside, they are very much 'indoor' pets now and have been for all their lives. Theya re part of the family and we want to keep it that way by keeping them inside.
We have an air purifier which has helped tremendously with my hair fever so much so that if it has been turned off for a few days I start sneezing again but with it on I am 'normal'.
The windows can be left open in summer months.
My husband and I can not really see it being a problem, it would only be short term anyway as when little one is old enough to sleep alone he will be moved up to the little box room.

Are you on all the right amount of benefits? I would get this checked, if you have had a big decline in your mental health you may be entitles to different/ more benefits. I would have thought you should be getting housing benefit and disability living allowance. Try CAB? some councils have a scheme whereby someone will come out to your home, usually called something like welfare rights team.

I am not on any benefits, we have had no end of trouble trying to claim and when we moved previously (time before last) I saw a horrible doctor who despite my illness said to me that she would not sign me off so I could no longer claim.
We do not qualify for housing benefit because when my husband is able to work he makes more than the cut off.

I am not on any benefits, we have had no end of trouble trying to claim and when we moved previously (time before last) I saw a horrible doctor who despite my illness said to me that she would not sign me off so I could no longer claim.
We do not qualify for housing benefit because when my husband is able to work he makes more than the cut off.

I hope you don't think I'm being rude, it's just that you are obviously struggling and you seem like you deserve to be on benefits right now. If you are signed off work and your husband is signed as your carer, especially as you are pregnant you would get your rent paid and have money coming in for bills, plus all medical treatment would be free and you can even get help with vet bills if you have an RSPCA clinic in your area. I know some people find it more stressful to actually claim all of this and it makes them worse, but it seems like you're entitled to it.

But I see no reason why the rabbits and baby wouldn't be fine together. As rabbits are herbivores their excrement is pretty much safe, just don't use wood shavings and you should be fine. :)

I know you would love the rabbits inside, but is this for your sake or theirs? Look at all the happy bunny in the sun pictures on the photo section and think how happy your buns would be out in the summer. :)

Your GP doesn't sound very helpful. I'd look for a new one, or get someone to help you do it. You can find all the GPs in your area here:

http://www.nhs.uk/servicedirectories/Pages/ServiceSearch.aspx?ServiceType=GP

When I was moving, my GP advised looking for a large teaching practice as they are more likely to be up-to-date with latest treatment options and more likely to have doctors with an interest or experience in MH issues. Might be worth considering?

Apart from that my lovely, I just wanted to give you a MASSIVE hug. You will get through this all, and soon you will have a beautiful little person to cuddle.

As far as the buns go, I don't think they'd mind being outside in the summer at all, lots of sights, smells and tastes. If you get a nice shed/playhouse and put a big lock on it, they'll be as safe in there as they would be in your house.

xxxx

In all honesty we found it more stressful trying to claim than struggling on, but now it has all come to a head and I am no longer able to 'live' in the flat due to the finding and this has completly debilitated me which is why I can not be left alone in the flat, outside of the flat I am able to cope a lot better and do not need the constant care so we do feel that moving is the only option as this will enable my husband to get back to work.
Jimby and Cookie are very happy indoors and they thrieve indoors, they love the constant attention of people and I honestly feel they would become quite depressed out doors, so I do not think it is purley for my benefit wanting to keep them indoors it is for theirs as well.
They are not like normal bunnies and they actually enjoy running up and having a cuddle on the sofa whilst watching TV, which they would miss if they were outdoors.

I dont think it would be a problem to have the baby in the same room, they would be at oposit ends of the room and it would not be all day and night long as I would be able to spend time in the rest of the house with the baby.

In all honesty we found it more stressful trying to claim than struggling on, but now it has all come to a head and I am no longer able to 'live' in the flat due to the finding and this has completly debilitated me which is why I can not be left alone in the flat, outside of the flat I am able to cope a lot better and do not need the constant care so we do feel that moving is the only option as this will enable my husband to get back to work.
Jimby and Cookie are very happy indoors and they thrieve indoors, they love the constant attention of people and I honestly feel they would become quite depressed out doors, so I do not think it is purley for my benefit wanting to keep them indoors it is for theirs as well.
They are not like normal bunnies and they actually enjoy running up and having a cuddle on the sofa whilst watching TV, which they would miss if they were outdoors.

I dont think it would be a problem to have the baby in the same room, they would be at oposit ends of the room and it would not be all day and night long as I would be able to spend time in the rest of the house with the baby.

To be honest it sounds fine. I agree that moving is probably best for you. I hope it helps to sort you out. :)
And your child will grow up with bunny snuggles. :love:

The baby will be fine around the bunnies :wave:

My only concern would be how the bunnies are around the baby? Are your bunnies ok with noise and children? Babies cry A LOT and it is very stressful being a new mum with a new baby, the first two weeks are hell on earth in all honesty. This means you will be heavily sleep deprived and very stressed and irritable at times, how this affects your rabbits I don't know, or how it might affect them i'm afraid you will only know when the time comes. On the positive, you will be awake a lot and the buns will have LOTS of company. They may just be slightly put out with the change in their routine. Before Sammy arrived we made sure the buns had their own space away from the noise and crying, for both their sakes and ours. When your baby arrives you will be surprised at how little time you have for the buns.... trust me.... a baby takes up EVERY second of your day, you may only have time for the basics - clean them and feed them, not so much bunny cuddles any more, but things will get easier over the months as you all settle into a routine. I think all together in one room will be very tough for you all, but do-able.

Rachylou you DO need some support/help with your MH issues though because believe me, a baby pushes you to your VERY limit and you need to be back on your feet before then otherwise your baby will suffer because mum won't be 'available' in the psychological sense. Please push or seek some more help now whilst you still have time to get some coping strategies in place. Big hugs xx

as prettylupin says, the first few days/weeks/months with a new baby can be a real struggle, even if prior to the birth you feel able to take on the world.

i don't see a major problem with the buns and the baby but as jimby is a bit stressy like eric, would he have a 'quiet' area he could retreat to?

also, just a thought, but do you think that you could manage in a new flat or house rather than with your parents as it would be a new start in a new place? maybe if you looked for a cheaper place or again enquired about benefits, this may be a possibility?

hugs xxxx

Back