• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

quick question?

nick&keely

New Kit
we have a 10 week old male bunny at the moment but in the future we wanted to neuter him and get him a female friend,

only problem is, at the moment he has snuffles,

would this be a bad idea as i heard snuffles never goes away it just lies dormant or would it be ok as long as we kept our eye on them?

thanks x

There are lots of varying opinions on this. I have a respitory bunny and his bonded partner has never suffered with infections.

It depends, is it definately pasteurella?

I have a pasteurella bun living with a non pasteurella bun :)

im not sure what it is, maybe the vet can shed more light on it, all he said is its snuffles, just wanted to see if it would be possible, thanks for your help guys x

Pastrella, Bordatella, Staphylococcus, Pseudomonas are the more common ones but there are others. The labs can't seem to identify it in my rabbits other than its some type of coliform and are testing him for aspergilus.

Pastrella, Bordatella, Staphylococcus, Pseudomonas are the more common ones but there are others. The labs can't seem to identify it in my rabbits other than its some type of coliform and are testing him for aspergilus.

:thumb:

Can you tell Amy's had a respiratory bun for a while? :)

Have you thought about getting another bun with snuffles as a friend? Rescues will have ones with snuffles, it is quite a common illness.

Or you can get a bunny from a rescue that you know has already been infected with pasturella but does not suffer from snuffles (it doesnt necessarily have symptoms in some buns, their immune systems keep it in check), by living with or next to a bunny who has pasturella.

My bunny has snuffles and like you I was worried about infecting a bunny, I know it is not certain for them to develop the illness from catching pasturella, but I would have felt terrible if they had gotten ill and I had knowingly caused it. I thought for a while that I would not be able to get my bunny a friend and I felt awful for not being able to give him the companionship he needs. But tomorrow I am going to Windwhistle Warren Rescue to pick one of a selection of rabbits that lived in a garage with a snuffles bun who had pasturella, so they are all infected even though they arent ill from it.

So wait till you have your bun neutered, then contact lots of rescues asking if they have any buns that have snuffles or have caught pasturella. :) New bunnies come into rescue all the time, and there will be loads of them coming in after easter.

Have you thought about getting another bun with snuffles as a friend? Rescues will have ones with snuffles, it is quite a common illness.

Or you can get a bunny from a rescue that you know has already been infected with pasturella but does not suffer from snuffles (it doesnt necessarily have symptoms in some buns, their immune systems keep it in check), by living with or next to a bunny who has pasturella.

My bunny has snuffles and like you I was worried about infecting a bunny, I know it is not certain for them to develop the illness from catching pasturella, but I would have felt terrible if they had gotten ill and I had knowingly caused it. I thought for a while that I would not be able to get my bunny a friend and I felt awful for not being able to give him the companionship he needs. But tomorrow I am going to Windwhistle Warren Rescue to pick one of a selection of rabbits that lived in a garage with a snuffles bun who had pasturella, so they are all infected even though they arent ill from it.

So wait till you have your bun neutered, then contact lots of rescues asking if they have any buns that have snuffles or have caught pasturella. :) New bunnies come into rescue all the time, and there will be loads of them coming in after easter.

great idea, thanks a lot :D

Back