• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Binky is in pain/stasis :( UD Admitted... U/D coming home today

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
He behaved a bit strangely after pellets at 6.00 pm in that he didn't come straight to the grass/dandelions I'd picked. He was just stretched out at the front of the hutch. I opened the hutch door to investigate and he ran into the dark bit and sat in the litter tray looking scared. After only a few minutes he came back out and tucked into the greens. All seemed well. I gave it no great significance but when I went to check on them at 11.00 pm Shadow was running round excitedly asking for food and Binky was hunched in the litter tray shaking :cry::cry::cry:

I set up a cage inside and brought him in. Warmed a snugglesafe, gathered all he needed. I couldn't get him to eat and at first he just seemed a bit baffled by his surroundings but after a while he started stretching and flopping :cry::cry:

At 12.30 am I rang vets and he was seen by Mr H-B at 1.15am (only 6 weeks since we dragged him out of his bed to see Esme)::oops::oops:: Anyhow he could find nothing and Binky's blood glucose was only 9.4 (a reading of 15 being the alarm signal) which made me look like I was being paranoid. There were no signs of blockage or anything else obvious so he was given Metacam and Domperidone (not sure if he had anything else as I was half asleep). As his blood glucose was only slightly raised I brought him home but he hasn't really been any better. He can lay still for 40 minutes or so but the look uncomfortable again :cry::cry: He has eaten a few raspberry leaves but not with any great enthusiasm. He's also wee'd on the carpet which makes me suspicious of bladder issues :?

Anyhow he's going back for 9.00 am, and I feel there's something more than stasis going on here :cry::cry::cry: I can't think it's calcium issues as his brother has loose teeth presumably from low calcium diet.

Anyhows time will tell and the little cuddle monster would appreciate some vibes.

I'm off to shower now and wake up enough to drive as I've only had 5 hours catnapping.

Last edited:
Poor Binky, sending lots of vibes and hoping it's nothing too serious. I hope you're ok too, you must be exhausted. x

Poor Binky, sending lots of vibes and hoping it's nothing too serious. I hope you're ok too, you must be exhausted. x

Thanks

I'm just glad he didn't die. I sound like a drama queen but he looked so unhappy. I'm running on adrenalin at the moment I think (and caffiene). *Spelling due to lack of sleep*

Lots of vibes for Binky, I know how worrying having a bun that won't eat & is acting out of character is :(

If you sound like a drama queen then I did about Bouncer too.

Fluids, warmth, tempting foods and exercise would be my advice - the latter being the thing that seemed to get Bouncer back on track.

((hugs))

Fluids, warmth, tempting foods and exercise would be my advice - the latter being the thing that seemed to get Bouncer back on track.

((hugs))

Thanks. Pretty much all second nature now, unfortuantely, though I didn't do the exercise as I don't think the primary cause is belly ache, I think he's stopped eating because of pain not the other way round.

:cry::cry: I really thought Binky and Shadow would be immune to problems but hay ho.

Oh no, not Binky. :( Sending loads of vibes for the special little guy xx

Thanks.

He's now admitted at H-B's and will be under the care of Ruth. Allison who admitted him said that there was possibly a slight flinch from his bladder but nothing too obvious. She thought the bladder stones suggestion might be a possibility. He's being x-rayed, syringe fed, medicated and whatever else he needs. I've to ring at 3pm if I haven't heard sooner. I won't be able to update until about 6.30/7.00 though, unless I hear something before I go to work.

Shadow is unfazed and has been begging and grooming me thoroughly. I might need to bathe his eyes while is brother is away.

I had a long discussion with Binky's 'Aunty Ruth' this afternoon and she said that the x-rays showed a very full stomach and not much moving but it wasn't a blockage. There was gas in the intestine but not significant. The x-ray did match the pain I had described him being in. Ruth did explain the difference between that kind of pain ie not gas/bloat and why it's only a 9ish on the glucose rating whereas a surgery case ie bloat from blockage is higher. (I understood at the time but can't get my head round it at the moment). I felt when I heard the explanation that I should be able to tell the difference on observing them but I can't :oops::oops: Binky was a 9.4 and Esme a 14.5 and if anything Binky looked in more pain but the symptoms were the same :?

Anyhows, Binx is on stronger painkiller as he was still looking miserable on metacam so was quiet as the opiates knocked him out a tad. He was being syringe fed, offered a banquet, on Zantac, Domperidone, whatever cocktail was appropriate and was getting IV fluids so the contents of his stomach didn't get chance to dry out before they moved. He's staying in as he needs all this to get him pooping it all out and eating. I get an update tomorrow morning but no underlying condition just a slow down that we will probably never know the cause of.

I could have saved everybody a lot of bother though if I can understand the difference between 15+ and below and take the glucose test in the first place. Mr H-B did have a lot of trouble finding a vein on Binky and it wasn't easy sticking the needle in his ear. I really need to be brave and do it though.:oops::oops: I could then have medicated him knowing he wasn't in danger from anything serious and taken him the following morning. In theory:?

Enough of the ramble - the boy is okay :love::love::love:

Thank you. If he ate tree bark like his Aunty Karen perhaps he wouldn't have got so bunged up in the first play ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

Don't feel too bad about not being able to do the glucose reading yourself, especially if the vet struggled too. You can only judge by the symptoms you can see as well - maybe Binky just has a lower pain threshold and isn't so good at hiding his pain like a bunny should do.

I'm glad he's well anyway. :love::love::love:

:lol::lol::lol:

Don't feel too bad about not being able to do the glucose reading yourself, especially if the vet struggled too. You can only judge by the symptoms you can see as well - maybe Binky just has a lower pain threshold and isn't so good at hiding his pain like a bunny should do.

I'm glad he's well anyway. :love::love::love:

Thanks. I do feel guilty for not being able to do more myself. but even if I had a blood glucose reading that was in the safe range I wouldn't have trusted it as it just didn't tally with what I was seeing :oops::oops:

Thanksies everybody.

Just a quick update whilst I dash between Job A and Job B :roll:

Frances didn't have time to assess the inpatients before starting consultations this morning so I haven't got a full update until 2.00pm ... or later. The nurse reported though that he'd eaten some dandelions over night but needed syringe feeding this morning. I doubt he will be coming home today (I don't physically have time to collect him before 6.30 now anyway so if they say he's coming home I'm stuffed as have to go to Job B without having this info.) I'm pretty sure he's staying if he's needing syringe feeding though :cry: I hope the little love feels like eating a bit more soon. On the plus side Shadow is coping really well on his lonesome.

U/D Wednesday

Binky is still at the vets.

He has eaten for himself in the last 24 hours but only about half the amount they would be happy with. He's bright and makingt progress. It's fairly likely he will be coming home tomorrow, if he doesn't decline. (Staying at the level he's at would be okayish but they are syringe feeding him and expecting him to eat more).

I was there with Erin and Elijah having their myxi vaccinations and Ruth showed me Binky's x-ray. She said it was somewhat unusual. It looked like he had swallowed a football :shock::shock: He had a HUGE stomach, taking up about half of his internal space :shock::shock: She said that it was obvious from the x-ray that his stomach was full of food, with a rabbit who has a blockage the x-ray will show gas and fluid in the stomach, not food.

The clinical diagnosis: He's a greedy little trougher :lol::lol::lol:

It does seem he got in that state by gorging himself :roll:

The clinical diagnosis: He's a greedy little trougher :lol::lol::lol:

It does seem he got in that state by gorging himself :roll:

:shock: It's a wonder Alfie hasn't suffered with the same. :roll::lol: I hope Binky is home soon.

:shock: It's a wonder Alfie hasn't suffered with the same. :roll::lol: I hope Binky is home soon.

On behalf of Binky, FankQ very much, Aunty Karen.:love:

It's interesting to see how Shadow is racing his food down like he has been starved while his brother is away, he hasn't slowed down any while the 'competition' is not around! I bet this is why Binky eats so fast - because they are both so flippin' greedy.

Back