• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

UD page 2 it my garden safe for my bunnies NEW PICS - I think not safe at all

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
I haven't let them out into the new garden, well it is shared with 4 flats. Two flats have the front, us and 2 the back.

I knew all the plants in the old house but not here. I know there is ivy, but there are 2 other climbing plants. Not even sure I can remove them.

Is there any thing dangerous ?

S6307865.jpg

S6307863.jpg

S6307854.jpg

7/Back%20garden%20plants/S6307857.jpg[/IMG]

S6307852.jpg

S6307847.jpg

Last edited:
Photo 1 is a hosta - edible to humans, don't know about bunnies.

Photo 2 on the left looks like a yucca, to the right of that looks like something growing from a bulb, that will be poisonous to rabbits if so, the tree with the pale leaves looks like an acer, not sure if dangerous to buns or not.

Third photo isn't showing, fourth a bit fuzzy but maybe a sedum, not sure about the fifth,

Photo 1 is a hosta - edible to humans, don't know about bunnies.

Photo 2 on the left looks like a yucca, to the right of that looks like something growing from a bulb, that will be poisonous to rabbits if so, the tree with the pale leaves looks like an acer, not sure if dangerous to buns or not.

Third photo isn't showing, fourth a bit fuzzy but maybe a sedum, not sure about the fifth,

Thanks. sorry I took the pics at about 7 pm. I will do them again tomorrow. The neighbour is fine about me moving the pots.

Sunshine has ruined many yakkas, which their are plenty of. I will move the one with the bulbs in it. :wave:

The plant after the sedum (don't think any succulents are safe) is or looks like Hebe and not safe for buns.

Anything from a bulb is not safe (leaves or bulbs)

Third to last picture looks like Celandine or Marsh Marigold/Caltha palustrius - neither are safe

Here's a link to safe and unsafe plants which might help.

http://www.bunnyhugga.com/poisonous-plants.html

Last edited:
:shock: oh dear

we have tonnes of wild garlic in our garden which I guess I'll have to get rid of before I let the buns free range again. The stuff is virtually impossible to get rid of though :(

sorry I'm no help byb :wave:

The plant after the sedum (don't think any succulents are safe) is or looks like Hebe and not safe for buns.

Third to last picture looks like Celandine or Marsh Marigold/Caltha palustrius - neither are safe

Here's a link to safe and unsafe plants which might help.

http://www.bunnyhugga.com/poisonous-plants.html

Its not hebe, if I am right hebe has purple flowers. Had loads in my last garden and they use to chew through it. :oops::oops:

Thanks everyone but the best thing for me to do is just fence it/put a barrier up to prevent them getting in.

I don't know if I have any right to dig them up and then there is the problem with the ivy which must be 25 foot high.

Its not hebe, if I am right hebe has purple flowers. Had loads in my last garden and they use to chew through it. :oops::oops:

Hebe comes in many many forms, I have lots of different ones in my garden, pink, white, purple, and they can have fine long leaves, short stubby ones.

It certainly has the correct leave/form for hebe but could be something else- difficult to see from the photo :)

Last edited:
Thanks. My knowledge of UK plants is not the best. I thought hebe was one general plant.

It's a genus, there are lots of different species within it. The characteristic thing I notice about them is that the leaves are at very precise right angles to each other, they look like they've been built out of meccano :lol:

Can check it if you get a clearer photo. But no need if you're fence building :)

Personally if I ever find a pot of money on the street and thus can afford a garden - I will have a bunny-only area which will just be grass and herbs, fenced off from the rest of the garden. I am too paranoid about potentially unsafe things!

It's a genus, there are lots of different species within it. The characteristic thing I notice about them is that the leaves are at very precise right angles to each other, they look like they've been built out of meccano :lol:

Can check it if you get a clearer photo. But no need if you're fence building :)

Personally if I ever find a pot of money on the street and thus can afford a garden - I will have a bunny-only area which will just be grass and herbs, fenced off from the rest of the garden. I am too paranoid about potentially unsafe things!

Thanks will try more pics again tomorrow.

I pretty much knew everything in my last garden. All the pansies were eaten. Had an apple and pear tree. Next door had an over hanging elderberry tree I was not happy about.

Everything else I planted I looked up on the net.

I hope you can sort things out so that the uns can get out. We let Spenser free range in the snow, but haven't pucked up the courage to do so since. :oops: We have a rhodedendron, which I know is poisonous, but I think if we were all supervising we could keep Spenser away from it.

I have reassessed the garden today. I really can't see how it is ever going to be suitable. The many problems are:
1. It is shared between 4 flats, so anything removed would have to be discussed.

2. The Ivy is much much bigger than I realised - 30 to 35 foot high and about 10foot wide. It looks very mature and ancient. The stalks from the ground look like small tree trunks.

3. The obvious one, the gap in the fence from garden 1 to garden 2. If they ever got out through garden 2, it would be a disaster.

4. So many plants to identify. Not just our part but the 2nd garden.

WHAT DO THINK - I COULD JUST USE THE COURT YARD AREA, HOWEVER, DRIED IVY LEAVES KEEP BLOWING IN THERE.

THIS IS THE HUGE IVY

S6307912.jpg

THIS IS THE GAP IN THE FENCE TO GARDEN 2, THEN THE CARPARK FOR UPSTAIRS

S6307914.jpg

MOST OF GARDEN ONE

S6307913.jpg

WHAT ABOUT THE COURT YARD ?

S6307916.jpg

what about using the courtyard by putting some kind of temporary barrier from the potted yucca to the vertical wood by the watering can?

That would be safe as far as i can see and any suspect plants could be temporarily moved while the buns are out.

what about using the courtyard by putting some kind of temporary barrier from the potted yucca to the vertical wood by the watering can?

That would be safe as far as i can see and any suspect plants could be temporarily moved while the buns are out.

Cheers that was what I was thinking. The original plan was to put up a barrier at the fence but its not worth the risk.

Just wondered though, about the dry ivy leaves. I am guessing they are still dangerous when dried out.

Cheers that was what I was thinking. The original plan was to put up a barrier at the fence but its not worth the risk.

Just wondered though, about the dry ivy leaves. I am guessing they are still dangerous when dried out.

I'm not 100% sure, to be honest. It might be worth doing a bit of extra research; I've seen it said that leaves of ordinary english ivy aren't severely toxic in small amounts, so I don't know exactly how dangerous it would be.

Would it be possible to give the courtyard a sweep round before letting the buns out?

Back