• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies

batmobile

Mama Doe
I have 9 bunnies. All of them are rescues. I lost my oldest and first a few weeks ago; he was a non rescue and 12 years old.
Anyway, one of my pairs live in a 8ftby 6ft dog kennel run thing which has been adapted for bunnies. It is a double kennel and currently there is an empty 8ft by 6ft space spare. My original intention was to board people's rabbits when they go on holiday but so far no one has booked in (I must admit I haven't advertised it properly or spread the word. Plus, where I live, they think I am mad to have rabbits as pets, especially so many) I wonder if I haven't advertised it too though because really, I want to fill it with my own bunnies.
Basically, I really want to rehome another pair, simply because I have the perfect space for them and know there are so many in need. I always said I would never have more than 8 (which is no longer the case) and would never 'replace' Houdini (RIP) with more as really 9 are enough. Yet I look and see bunnies I fall in love with and think: What is another pair?' You see once the space is filled, there is no way I could have any more where as now there IS a possibility.
To be honest, I am just ranting and trying to talk myself out of another pair. Or convince myself into one... Ahhhh. :evil: Bloomin' bunnies...

So sorry to hear about Houdini.

It is very hard to resist getting more bunnies. Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job. :wave:

He led a wonderfully long and I hope happy life. His last year was spent in a carpeted bathroom with his very own pillow so he was warm. :)

It is hard and I always say no more, but when you have spare space it seems wasteful. :lol:

I'm sorry to hear about Houdini.:(

Have you thought about fostering for a rescue? Each has their own agreement but I think they usually pay any vet fees while you pay for food and hay. You could foster a pair who were waiting to be rehomed. This not only gives one pair a break from the rescue for a while, it also frees up space in the rescue for any emergency ones coming in. You would decide with the rescue how long you could foster for.

Just a thought.

sue:wave:

He led a wonderfully long and I hope happy life. His last year was spent in a carpeted bathroom with his very own pillow so he was warm. :)

It is hard and I always say no more, but when you have spare space it seems wasteful. :lol:

12 is an amazing age and what an inspiration.

Have you got any photos of him ?

...I think you need to talk to Jill ;)

That said - I know that Jester & Zeb would LOVE to have both kennels all to themselves :D:wave:

I can't help... I have the same problem... I was never going to have more than 3.... now I have 9 and my OH keeps having to build more the the run to increase space! Worst part is I work at a rescue and want to bring all the ones in my area home!!

Hi Jo
as said in my short pm..the bun you have fallen for is lovely and would be great to see him with a partner in a new home

Things to think about..

Fostering for a rescue, very helpful and yes you would be a great help to free up a space. But..if the accommodation you have is attached to your own bunnies, as I know it is, then you cannot put rescues next to them. Rescue bunnies should be quarantined away from your own to prevent spread of any bacteria .
So if you can have a set up completely seperate fostering can be very rewarding.

Boarding is really the same as above. Ideally you should have boarders away from your own rabbits with all equipment and areas seperate.

So ..that leaves you with either giving Jester and Zeb the whole area...or taking on two extras....and you can never have enough Honeybunnies:lol:..

I couldn't foster as I would fail every time. I did consider it for the dog rescue I am involved with but decided against it as I like 'my own' animals. That's not to say I don't think it is a wonderful wonderful thing to do, but aside from wanting to keep them all, all of what Jill says is also part of my thinking and reasoning behind not offering up the space. There was a time when I thought of moving some of my buns out of the stable, into the kennel and then using that space as a boarding facility. But I like my set up and the bunnies are all settled in the routine I have for them.
Jester and Zeb would obviously love the whole kennel, and the bigger the better is my motto BUT it is a whole separate bigger than needed space that could give a pair of buns a wonderful home and that is what will not go out of my head. Especially a particular bunny...

if you have the time, the money and the dedication i'd say go for it. :)

you obviously are thinking long and hard about it. i would have more if i had the money but at the moment 3 is my limit..

Back