• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dogs and Rabbits

SisterMoonbeam

Mama Doe
Well, after much deliberation.... the OH and I have decided that a dog may be on the cards in the not too distant future :D

Now.... the main concern is, obviously, the bunnies. My other dogs (live at my parents) are terriers and were always kept WELL clear of the bunnies when I lived at home as I just couldn't risk them meeting each other (both of them showed natural hunting instinct). I think this has made me quite wary of getting a dog but I know that some of you on here have dogs that live very happily with rabbits!

My question is... how do I go about choosing a dog that will not be a danger to my bunnies?

I figured that terriers are a 'no go' but are there any particular breeds that can be trusted more with rabbits than others?

Also, I would definitely be going for an adult rescue dog, so I wouldn't be able to rain it from a young age to adapt to the buns.... will this be a problem?

Thanks for your help :)

Don't totally rule out a terrier - I have a terrier, a whippet, a collie and a cavalier - all living in harmony with rabbits and guineas (..and ratties.. and chinchillas.. and cats..)!

Well done you for choosing to home an adult dog via Rescue :love:

Many dogs are fostered within 'muti animal' families - when I foster a dog, I can judge how well a dog will live alongside other animals, obviously - so can pass that valuble info back to the Rescue and Adoptee..

Once you've decided what type/size dog you are looking for - then find a good Rescue that assesses their dogs' well. Hoepfully you will be matched to a dog in foster that is living in a similar lifestyle to your own..

Best of luck xx

We had our rabbits before the dog too - but he is a jack russell cross fox terrier! We got Benedict (the dog) as a puppy so that he would grow up alongside the rabbits. He loves the rabbits and has been known to sleep next to the house rabbit and give her a wash. I don't go out and leave the rabbits and dog together but I will quite happily pop into the garden, cook the tea, have a shower, etc and leave them alone. :)

My OH has a bull terrier cross (she's long and leggy not short and stocky, very beautiful). She isn't interested in Buckley. We introduced them, Missy sniffed at the cage and walked off.
We keep the bunny's room shut off and keep Missy downstairs if we're all out.
Missy really hasn't shown any interest in Buckley at all. xoxo

I have 2 dogs...a terrier and a cross whippet.

the terrier is fine with bunny Ruby. He lets her walk all over him and she pesters the life out of him sometimes.

My other dog is a different case altogether. She has a strong hunting instinct..... when I walk them early in the morning often chases rabbits. she is not to be trusted with Ruby at all!

I'd find out as much as pos about the rescue dog and maybe go for one that has a known history rather than...like my whippet cross....was found wandering.

Sometimes an older person has had to give up a loved pet through ill health and you may find a dog from those circumstances a lot calmer.

Whatever kind of dog you have you need to be constantly on the alert to head off any accidents :wave:

deffinatly dont rule terriers out, we have a jack russelxparson terrier, who seems to of been bred for rabbit or rat hunting and although she shows a great interest in the rabbits, and I wouldnt trust them out alone she is great! I can sit with a bunny on my knee and she will sit nicely with me :love: they also play games together :lol:

Thanks for your replies. I love terriers so would love to have one! I am sensing it is more to do with the personality and nature of the dog than the actual breed.

Looking at those that have been fostered is a really good idea!

This boy is GORGEOUS and would be ideal! :love::love:

Shame he is so far away :(

http://www.dogsblog.com/robbie-20/

Cavaliers are a good easy breed, who usually are happy go lucky and will live with anything. Of course that's a general rule, but they are often very soft :D There's also lots of them in rescue. However they have a lot of health problems, not sure if you would want to take the risk.

Spider is a border collie and has always learnt that bunnies are his friends, and he has only ever tried to herd them!

Spider is a border collie and has always learnt that bunnies are his friends, and he has only ever tried to herd them!

Such a good boy :) do you ever worry about him herding them? I dogsit a BC and he just goes crazy around the rabbits, I mean I seriously think he would kill them if he had access. He's from working parents though, so maybe that's why, although he doesn't work.

I have a staffie that lives perfectly with all my animals (rabbits, guinea pigs and chipmunks). My indoor chipmunk (Alvin) jumps all over her and she dosent even bother. I also foster rabbits that have come from domestic violence environments and are usually really skitty and she is fab with them. :D I think its down to individual dogs rather than breed:D

We have a labrador and we taught him from 8 weeks old to respect the bunnies, he is brilliant with them, he washes their faces for them :lol:

Training,rules and boundries xxxxx

100_3388.jpg

And a very bad tempered RABBIT :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I wouldn't completely rule out terriers. I have 2 yorkies and one is great with buns and all animals. The other is good with cats but may have a prey drive with buns so he's kept apart from them.

I would suggest yorkies, maltese, or chihuahuas, because I'm a huge fan of them and think they have wonderful personalities.

:wave: i had a lab and ive got a cavalier now, both were fine with the buns and i had them before i got bella and jasper. i was worried about sullivan (lab) as i didnt know whether his hunting instinct would kick in but he was a bog softy with them and loved bella to bits :) bentley (cavi) adores bella and loves watching jasper run around, he would never hurt them but i never leave them unsupervised just to be on the safe side :)

005-20.jpg

086.jpg

I used to have a GSD x Retriever who was an angel with my small furries and I now have (what we think) Boxer x Staffie x Border Terrier who is fantastic with all my animals.
My friend has a Jack Russell who lives with 2 house rabbits and my bf's best mate has 2 jack russells who lived with a house rabbit until recently.
Quite often rescues will list which dogs are good with small animals.

I def think it's down to how they are brought up and their personality more than breed, although of course, some breeds are naturally more amiable with other animals.

I think I would only steer clear of dogs from a strong working line who showed working tendencies.

Back