• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rosie has dug a burrow!!!!!!!!

benkat

Warren Scout
Yes, my little digging queen Rosie has got fed up with mean bunny mum AKA me filling in the holes she digs & covering them with plant pots, so she has dug a burrow underneath them :shock::shock:

Every morning she rattles the bars of their permanent run to let me know it's playtime & instead of eating grass she just digs!!! I've tried giving her a digging box, but that's just boring. She kicks the soil out then flings it around!! I've tried feeding them in the grass run so there is something yummy to eat - that won't fool her either. Looks like I'm going to have to pave the grass run over - well it's not grass anymore, it's a great big hole!!!

So much for letting them have some funtime on the grass :roll::roll:

Hahahahahaha. Sorry but I have a couple of serious diggers. The number of times I have to break a sweat filling in their tunnels. I am always after 2 years amazed by how quickly they create them too. Unfortunately it is too big an area to pave so I have to be vigilant - pesky fiends. :evil: :lol:

Staple mesh to the bottom of the run, the grass will grow through but no tunnelling ;)

I have thought about stapling mesh to the bottom, but I feel really mean doing it :roll: Does the mesh not hurt their feet?

Hahahahahaha. Sorry but I have a couple of serious diggers. The number of times I have to break a sweat filling in their tunnels. I am always after 2 years amazed by how quickly they create them too. Unfortunately it is too big an area to pave so I have to be vigilant - pesky fiends. :evil: :lol:

When I'm filling in the holes I always wonder where half of the soil has gone.... Do you have the same problem??

If you're up for a little more work, you could lift the turf, set it aside and then excavate the area the run sits on. Up to you how much you do but around 6-8" (a spades depth) is probably about right for a bit of digging but not too much. Line the hole with mesh (sides and bottom) and then fill it back in, relay the turf and put the run back over the top. That way you've turned the whole run unto a secure digging pit :)

Good idea.... think I will have to do a rain dance first though.. My garden is clay & like rock at the moment :roll: In the meantime I will keep up the surveillance...... :roll:

:wave: Thanks for the info :D Now just need to plan how I can give them some extra space while I wait for the ground to be soft enough to dig & the grass to regrow........ They get grumpy enough being shut in the patio run at night as it is, so I definately need a temporary solution........

Any ideas??? :) x

You could do half and half, have one area they can dig and one they can't, might save you some work if it's a big run. Once you've got a bit dug out, going sideways isn't so bad as you can just take slices out (we're on heavy clay too - nightmare for digging holes for anything).

This sounds extreme but...my dad used to put rocks in the holes then put soil over. They'd then have a little dig, realise they couldn't get any further, then go and busy themselves destroying all plant life.:lol:

Might be worth trying? xxx

Naughty Rosie!

The only digger I had was Sooty and she stopped once she was spayed. She dug under the fence into next door and went under their back gate. I came home to find her out the front, took me ages to catch her.

Naughty Rosie!

The only digger I had was Sooty and she stopped once she was spayed. She dug under the fence into next door and went under their back gate. I came home to find her out the front, took me ages to catch her.

Naughty Rosie indeed! She didn't start digging until last summer - the first 3 years of her life she was an angel!!!

I too have had the 'chasing bunny round trying to catch her' scenario. I'm sure my neighbours thought I was insane :lol:

Why she wants to dig her way out into the garden when the dog & cats are there I have no idea - perhaps she thinks it would be fun :roll:

Back