• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bark Chippings - Safe or Dangerous?

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
I've been wanting to put some bark chippings down in the garden as a weed suppressant and mulch, just around the flowerbeds etc. We got some from B&Q but they stink of chemicals. I also think they are made from pine.

They're not going to be exactly placed under the bunnies noses, but I am worried that they might have a nibble and them be bad for them.

I think I've seen on a different thread that its possible to get chemical-free bark chippings but I'm guessing they would still be a non-bunny friendly wood...

Am I worrying over nothing or am I best to get the chemical-free ones.....or something else altogether, like slate or stones?

:oops:

Can't help you I'm sorry, but just noticed in 'Your Stories and Photos', someones got bark in their bunnies run. How about stuff they use in Childrens playareas?

Can't help you I'm sorry, but just noticed in 'Your Stories and Photos', someones got bark in their bunnies run. How about stuff they use in Childrens playareas?

Yes thats what got me thinking - that and the chemical smell.

B&Q sell the bark for children's play areas but looking at the details it looks pretty much the same as what I have bought, so just wondered if I ought to go to the lenghts to get chemical-free, or whether any bark chipping is not good cos its generally made of pine/fir.

It's XMissySJX that's got the bark chippings, may be worth putting the question on her thread? :wave:

I have kids play bark around the kids toys in the garden and my buns free range all day. They love digging in it but not much nibbling. I have had it a year with no probs. It does stink though when it is new but more a ku ure smell than chemicals!

I have kids play bark around the kids toys in the garden and my buns free range all day. They love digging in it but not much nibbling. I have had it a year with no probs. It does stink though when it is new but more a ku ure smell than chemicals!

Ah ok, maybe its just the new smell of it then! Thanks for that! :)

Its not going to be in 'their' area, just places they may have access to.

I have bark chippings in my run too, I gave it a quick google search to make sure it wasn't an absolute no no and nothing came up, rabbits strip bark from trees in the wild so I never really thought of it as a risk.

We did have quite a strong smell when we opened them up, but it was no worse than the ones we've had straight from tree surgeons so I don't think there's a special type that's better than others. Anyway, we just left the bags open and mixed it all up for a couple of weeks until the smell was gone and then emptied them in to the run. We've not had any related problems as far as I know but the buns did have a few nibbles when we first put it down.

I have bark chippings in my run too, I gave it a quick google search to make sure it wasn't an absolute no no and nothing came up, rabbits strip bark from trees in the wild so I never really thought of it as a risk.

We did have quite a strong smell when we opened them up, but it was no worse than the ones we've had straight from tree surgeons so I don't think there's a special type that's better than others. Anyway, we just left the bags open and mixed it all up for a couple of weeks until the smell was gone and then emptied them in to the run. We've not had any related problems as far as I know but the buns did have a few nibbles when we first put it down.

Ah ok, its good to know they've been fine with them :wave: Thanks for letting me know.

I really dont like the smell of them so hope it goes sooner than later - PONG! :lol:

Back