• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam Dosage

charl86

Alpha Buck
Just realised I've ran out of my normal metacam. Trust me to run out on a Sunday when the vets is closed so I cant call them :roll: The one I had was cat (i think) but the new one ive got to use today is dog which i know is a different strength. Can anybody tell me what the dosage of dog matacam would be for a 1.6kg rabbit? Its to use long term if that makes difference.
I know there are some threads about the dosage already but I dont trust my maths enough to try to work it out from them :oops:

Dosage might depend what it's for. Artie is on long-term Metacam (dog) as an analgesia. He is 2.8kg and has 6 drops per day.

Parsnip weighs 2.6kg and is on 0.3ml (1.5mg/ml - dog strength) Metacam TWICE a day. So he could have 0.6ml once daily also.

Dog metacam is normally three times the strength of cat metacam (1.5mg/ml instead of 0.5mg/ml) so I would guess it should be a third of the dose.

Hmm.. now I'm confused.. (but that doesnt take much :lol:)
Ive just given him a small dose to be on the safe side today and I'll call the vet in the morning

0.6mg/kg/24 hours on veterinary advice but some exotic vets may go higher for acute pain. 0.6mg dog metacam = 0.4ml that is per kg. :wave:

ETA there is a prescribing range of 0.2-0.6mg/kg

I was told by my vet that kg for kg rabbits need 3x the dose for dogs, so for my 2 kg rabbit, he got the dose for a 6kg dog. The small syringe has the kg weight dosage down the side.

ETA this is just what my vet told me!!

Back