• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

duty of care

jacengland

New Kit
Five years ago I got my first rabbit. It was not a whim, I thought about it seriously. The responsibility and how it would impact my life. My husband started working away from home so I bought Marble from a breeder, to keep me company when he was away. I took the responsibility of rabbit ownership seriously and learned about rabbit care. Marble spent as much time as possible with me, until we moved and we were spending a large amount of time doing up our new house. It was not safe for him to be around all the time due to building works. I noticed that he was getting depressed so I decided to get him a friend, which on reflection I knew I should have done to start with. I did not not want to go down the same route of buying from a breeder. I found PACT and went up to find a female friend for him. There is a picture of Marble below.
mess050.jpg

They only had one female, a cruelty case, who was an angora cross. She was vicious, but I decided to adopt her because I knew she would be hard to home. I am glad I did because it turned out she was fear aggressive and once I had spent some time with her she is quite sweet. She still has the odd moment, but she is forgiven because she did not have a very good start in life. I named her Clio and she is pictured below. She is featured in the PACT Summer 2009 Newletter, which I have kept. While I was there I was asked if I would be interested in volunteering at PACT, which I have been doing for nearly 2 years now.
mess041.jpg

While working there, I fell in love with who was to become Jasper. Going up there and finding out he had been reserved was sad, but I thought he will go to a good home. The Saturday I went up there and found out that he was un-reserved, I thought that I would have to give him a home. Bought a hutch for him with a run so he could see and talk to Marble and Clio when they were in the garden. Knew that it was not ideal, so asked my husband to build a hutch for them so they can see each other when they are put away at night. I knew all the time that I was on the look out at PACT for a girlfriend for him. Jasper is below.
002.jpg

Then I found Pearl, one of the Horsford rabbits. After all that she had been through, she always came to the front of her hutch to see you. I know that she had her leg problems, but she was such a lovely rabbit. I was nervous when I introduced her to Jasper, but it was love at first sight. I have included a picture of one of her deformed front legs, just to show people what inbreeding, poor nutrition and lack of exercise can do.
DSCF0681.jpg

It saddens me that people get rabbits and just leave them in a hutch all day. Get bored with them and then they become an inconvenience. Throw them away like unwanted toys. The joy that they can bring you is fantastic. It is lovely to have a rabbit come running when they see you. I wish everyone was a responsible rabbit owner and treated them as they as should be.

I remember the pics of Pearl and Jasper yesterday. Lovely couple. :love::love::love:

Maple and Clio are gorgeous. :love::love::love:

You have the bunny bug. Can't stop at just one.

You have given them a wonderful life and will enjoy getting updates about them. :wave:

Gorgeous bunnies.

How lucky that they found you!

Your sentiments are echoed so many times over, in the welfare of rabbits.

We all try to do our very best even though sometimes it is so disheartening.

Well done for the good work you have done with your bunnies.

Back