• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just a few Questions for a beginner

MyBunnyRosie

Young Bun
We havent long gor our first Bun and we all ready love her dealy, But we have a few Questions.

Why is she nesting all the time. She takes all her hay from her cage and puts it all in her bed compartment she even has some of her fur in there. I don't think she is pregnant as she hasnt been with any other bunnies (thats what the old owner told us).

And also is it ok for Rosie to be out running free in the garden every day?

thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum :wave:

How old is Rosie?

There are 2 possibilities. The first is that she is pregnant, do you think the previous owner could have lied? :(

The other possibility is that she might be hormonal and experiencing a phantom pregnancy. The best thing to do to rectify this behaviour, which can be very upsetting for the bun, is to have her spayed. Another good reason to get her spayed is that an unspayed female bun has a HUGE (something like 85%) chance of getting uterine cancer.

So Id suggest a visit to a rabbit savvy vet to find out if she is pregnant, and if she is not to book her in for a spay.

Good luck, we'd love to see some pics of Rosie btw ;):wave:

I have a Rosie too :D She's the grey bunny in my signature, we need pics of your Rosie :D

I agree with the above, sadly it's not unknown for people to lie about whether bunnies have been together and I hope your little Rosie isn't pregnant but best to find out asap. Spaying is entirely necessary as the health risks of not being spayed are very high and the poor buns can get very distressed with the urges they get :(. You could then think about getting her a (neutered) husbun as bunnies are much happier in pairs :D

Re the free ranging - is your garden enclosed or would she be in a run? We never leave ours out without being supervised by one or the other of us, but then they are in the garden, not in a run. How old is Rosie? I'm not sure about the amount of grass she might eat if she's a little tiddler and not used to it - someone else will know more about this.

Thankyou for your reply.
Rosie is 2 years old. They other owner had her with 18 other buns but she told me they all stayed in their individual hutches. But I'm not sure.
I will get some photos on of Rosie as soon as i can.

Also Rosie is always supervised, We have just had all our fencing replaced to insure Rosie cant escape. Our garden is only Postage stamp size. so if we got her a run we would have no garden left!

Also Rosie is always supervised, We have just had all our fencing replaced to insure Rosie cant escape. Our garden is only Postage stamp size. so if we got her a run we would have no garden left!

Poor bunnies all in their own hutches :(. Your little Rosie will be in heaven with a garden to run round now :D. I'd make an appointment with a vet for a general check over, if she's been cooped up her bones might not be as strong as they could be. They will be able to put your mind rest over possible pregnancy, and if the news is not good they can help you with that too.

Poor bunnies all in their own hutches :(. Your little Rosie will be in heaven with a garden to run round now :D. I'd make an appointment with a vet for a general check over, if she's been cooped up her bones might not be as strong as they could be. They will be able to put your mind rest over possible pregnancy, and if the news is not good they can help you with that too.

tHANKYOU ALL VERY MUCH X

Would love to see pictures of Rosie. Hope you can get her an appointment with a good vet soon. :wave:

Just about to add pictures now..

SAM_0141.jpg

SAM_0131.jpg

SAM_0136.jpg

She really is gorgeous and so lucky to have found you. :)

You can make a signature on any paint or photo programme.

Love the piccies, shes gorgeous :love:
Would you consider getting her a friend? Buns love the company of another bun (after theyve been bonded that is!) ;)

Love the piccies, shes gorgeous :love:
Would you consider getting her a friend? Buns love the company of another bun (after theyve been bonded that is!) ;)

Rosie seems to be happy and contented playing with our cat Oscar, They play lovely together and they even give each other kisses.

Rosie looks lovely, I am not sure how much space there is under the gate, rabbits can get through tiny spaces. It might be an idea to check to see if Rosie will be able to squeeze under this space.

Back