• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winter Bunnie Housing

helen01

Warren Veteran
I know its not even summer yet but I am just looking at a cages and sheds etc as a permanent home for Poppy. We only got her this week and she is living in a large enclosure, but caged on a night. I really dont like shutting her up on a night as she really isnt a bunny that suits a cage. I want to create something for her that she can access all weathers....

What do you all do with your bunnies over the winter? Do the bunnies get fed up cooped up when its cold/freezing/snowing? Or do you still let them out in the garden? I think Poppy would be miserable in a cage as she has been a stray for a long time and used to space I'm actually allergic to rabbits so not sure how I would cope with her in the house (Although I must admit I am considering it as hate the thought of her being in a cage 24/7) Are they happy in a shed when its snowing or do they miss the company of seeing others?

Poppy seems to enjoy seeing us in and out of the garden and loves teasing the dogs:lol: I would hate to shut her up somewhere where she wouldnt see us:( I would love to hear some suggestions and ideas please.

First off, I'd get her a friend if she's outside, they will help keep each other warm and stop her getting lonely.:)

My rabbits have a shed with attached run year round. No matter what the weather, you'll still find them out in their run and they will still get a bit of free ranging time. Rabbits are well adapted to different kinds of weather and should be absolutely fine as long as they have a nice snuggly bed to get in to.

First of all I agree with the above about getting her a neutered friend! Will keep her warm and not lonely :)

Secondly there are some good options for outside - I've opted for a shed with a run attached. Chicken coops and large rabbit hutches I thought weren't big enough considering that in the winter months I may not want to let them out for hours at a time! You can get very cheap wendy houses or sheds on the internet (same price or cheaper than many coops/hutches), all you have to do is insulate which is also pretty cheap and shove a run on :) I'm opting for 'runaround' which is a tube connecting to the run, so I can move the run around the garden!

But yeah, if space isn't a problem I'd definitely get a shed/wendy house, it works out about the same price if you don't need a fiddly silly size like me (6 x 4 sheds are as cheap as £150, or second hand is fine too!) and just make sure it's insulated to keep it cool in summer and toasty in winter :)

http://www.therabbithouse.com/outdoor/index.asp

^^ All of that is great info which I use to make my decision!

Back