• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How often do you clean the litter box in summer?

How often do you clean your litter box in summer?

• Once Daily

Votes: 33 78.6%
  • Twice Daily

Votes: 9 21.4%

• Total voters
Nowhere near that often. But for some reason ours don't need doing that often, maybe cos I use big boxes. I might do the lops one daily when it gets hot this summer but the lionheads drink so little that two big boxes last three days easy.

I think some of your polls are limiting, you don't give any varibles. Such as inside or outdoor bunnies, how many bunnies, size, breed, what type of bedding, health etc.

I change my 2 medium sized indoor bunnies indoor litter tray every 1 to 2 days. Mainly every 2nd day. This has been in winter. This depends on how long they are running around the house. I can clean up more poos in the house than in the litter tray.

Last edited:
Once daily, but I have a diddy pair, and theyre inside, and all wondows have netting to prevent flies.

When two of my buns had babies, many years ago, not only were they cleaned out totally twice a day (and disinfected), but put in a huge run as much as possible!

Nowhere near that often. But for some reason ours don't need doing that often, maybe cos I use big boxes. I might do the lops one daily when it gets hot this summer but the lionheads drink so little that two big boxes last three days easy.

I have a pair with two 32l underbed storage boxes + a wilko's cat tray- and they mess them up every day really badly and the floor of the hutch. Maybe i'm not using enough megazorb. I'm using a scoop full + lots of hay though. Only two sheets of newspaper though..is this not enough maybe?

My two bunnies (one smallish lionhead, one nethie dwarf cross) have a ferplast 100 as their litter tray, so up to five days for me.

Even my four foot cages couldn't really be left more than a day which are bases (used as litter trays) attached to enclosures. I must be doing something wrong. I think it's just not using as much absorbent bedding as i used to- I do put loads and loads of hay in, but that doesn't really work to hold urine so the two sheets of newpaper + megazorb scoop1 or x 2 are wet by the following day after cleaning.

I have a pair with two 32l underbed storage boxes + a wilko's cat tray- and they mess them up every day really badly and the floor of the hutch. Maybe i'm not using enough megazorb. I'm using a scoop full + lots of hay though. Only two sheets of newspaper though..is this not enough maybe?

I haven't been using any megazorb for about a month now since Mischa decided like Nutmeg that it was good fun to dig in. So am just using newspaper for both pairs. I have to put in about two whole newspapers in his and Mini's 42L tray though cos they drink quite a bit so therefore wee a lot. They also only wee up one end so midway between cleans I turn the tray round. The lionheads don't drink so much so with them I can use three or four sheets per box (they have two 32L trays). And then plenty of hay on top which I top up twice a day. The hay in it compacts and adds a barrier between them and the wet newspaper.

I find it works quite well. They don't dig in it and it doesn't smell until it's emptied when it all gets disturbed (if that makes sense). The lops newspaper is usually saturated and the lionheads newspaper is usually half saturated. In summer I'm definitely going to need to do the lops box more often than twice a week but with the lionheads I think I'll be able to carry on as I am.

Even my four foot cages couldn't really be left more than a day which are bases (used as litter trays) attached to enclosures. I must be doing something wrong. I think it's just not using as much absorbent bedding as i used to- I do put loads and loads of hay in, but that doesn't really work to hold urine so the two sheets of newpaper + megazorb scoop1 or x 2 are wet by the following day after cleaning.

Some may disagree with this but in my mind if it's wet it doesn't automatically need changing. I put my head over the boxes and sniff and if it smells it needs changing. The hay adds a layer so their feet don't reach the wetness.

Just in case people don't believe me, my rabbits' feet are always white, they never ever show any signs of sitting on wetness.

I replace them in the evening but in the morning I put a new layer of hay in so the old poo isn't exposed.

I do them every 2-4 days, they dont always use the litter tray religiously though. Some days it REALLY needs cleaning by day 2, some times it only just needs cleaning by day 4 :roll:

I change them both when they need changing. It was every other day with the small litter tray, but have a big one now for Oscar, changed it after 4 days and it still didn't really look like it needed changing. The smaller one still needs changing more often when it hasn't been tipped all over the floor :roll:

As others have said, when it starts to smell. New hay gets put in twice a day. Oscar is indoors too

I clean and change the litter trays every other day in winter, and once a day in summer. I find this is more than adequate for my lot. to be honest it would probably be fine to clean them every other day in summer too but Im abit over-paranoid about flystrike :oops: :wave:

Some may disagree with this but in my mind if it's wet it doesn't automatically need changing.
I disagree! Wet attracts flies and that means maggots! Leaving litter trays unchanged risks flystrike IMO. Duds and mavis have 3 litter trays and I change them twice daily. Couple of sheets of newspaper and a handful of hay is all it needs so it literally takes seconds.

I changed mine everyday... if not then every other day. Though mine spend most of their time in the garden anyway but i still like to change their toilet areas because of flies :roll:

Once daily in the hutches, but they are in runs from early morning until dark, so they only use them at night. Same with the baskets in the run- changed daily. They are emptied out at night when the bunnies go back into their hutches, and re-filled in the morning when they go back out.

I disagree! Wet attracts flies and that means maggots! Leaving litter trays unchanged risks flystrike IMO. Duds and mavis have 3 litter trays and I change them twice daily. Couple of sheets of newspaper and a handful of hay is all it needs so it literally takes seconds.

I was thinking about doing it twice daily as when I'm cleaning there are wet patches, and it shouldn't be getting like that when there is two sheets of newspaper, some megazorb and hay. I feel like it would be best to do it twice, but i don't know if i'm being overly cautious.

Back