• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

at my wits end with her now.....

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
Bluebell has been here since november...she was fine with bertie merlin and the cats...however her sister dazy-mae was attacking them constantly.
poor dazy-mae had to be pts two weeks after coming here.The next day berties pal merlin had to be admitted and kept in the vet hospital for over a week....bertie was extremely ill for 48hrs and then he picked up...as soon as he did bluebell made a beeline for him..begged for a comforting cuddle....which she got.

when merlin came back she attacked him 24/7....we had to pen him off which broke berties heart.
bluebell doesnt just lunge and grunt...she even chases them upstairs and scratches them and tries to bite them...so far she hasnt been quick enough but she easily could be.

poor bertie he cant have cuddles with the cats like hes used to...he also sleeps up against the pen panel and him and merlin wash each other through the bars:(

i tried water pistol but it had leaked so i just tipped the few drops out onto her head....it meant nothing to her.

i love her and i know shes badly cut up over her sister........and will never be the same........it was so traumatic.:( i know her real fears....how shes all mouth sometimes if you know what i mean:lol:

I am due to adopt her sisters very soon..theyre a bonded pair....as much for bluebells sake as berties.......i just hope her sisters arent so viscious to cats:(

berties always chasing bluebell and growling at her when shes chased the cats.
today hed had enough and he peed all around her and on their fleece....and on the floor around her:shock:
it took ages to sweep up and white vinegar fumes to rid the wee and diluted animal friendly cleaner and hot water.....to mop the rest. smells much nicer!!

how do i distract her....i dont know what to do....shes been here since nov and now its april:(

no i wont be rehoming her....i couldnt..not after her heartbreak with her sisters death...and she takes care of bertie after a seizure and also:( likes to alert us to bertie about to have a seizure.......and i love her...shes not a peoplebunny but doesnt lunge and bite us.....shes such a daft moo bless her. How can she be so evil:(:cry::cry:

:cry:

I dont think she is 'evil' but she is clearly unhappy.

To be honest she is being exposed to a lot of threatening (to her) situations. As much as *some* Rabbits will accept having cats about, some wont. I would put money on Bluebelle's aggression being fear driven. She will be constantly having to fend off predators. No-where feels safe to her.

I think you need to try to have a rethink about your set-up. Is there a way whereby the cats can be kept well away from Bluebelle *at all times*?

Until Bluebele can start to feel safe she wont stop being aggressive. To her it is what she feels she needs to do to protect herself.

Are you planning on bonding her with the two Does you are hoping to adopt ?
I do wonder how much of a risk attempting to do this might be :?
Bonding Does is tricky at the best of times. Trying to bond a fear aggressive Doe with an already bonded pair of Does is honestly not something I would consider.

Would adopting a neutered Buck be a better/safer option ?

Last edited:
Is there any way you could send Bluebelle, Bertie and Merlin to be bonded away from the cats? Maybe a nice quite place whould help bond them all together?

Bluebell was so soppy and relaxed when I saw her - she sounds like she has the bunny version of Multiple Personality Disorder:) It was Merlin I felt sorry for as he was clearly lonely in a pen on his own.

Jane's idea of finding Bluebell somewhere cat free sounds good. My buns and cats generally get on really well but when Pippa (the cat who thinks she is a bun) won't leave Gemma alone, she goes behind the carrier in the corner and Pippa can't reach her there. There wasn't supposed to be a space there, but I've left it, as it's Gemma's bolt hole for when she doesn't feel like playing with Pippa.

I guess the difficulty you have is that the cats are smaller than Bluebell so it's much harder to find her somewhere cat free. Could Bluebell maybe live upstairs in a cat free room? Not sure how many bedrooms you have, I think at least two.

It must be time for me to come for another visit:) I so love visiting you and your fur family and having Bertie and Dylan cuddles. Am hoping 28th is still going to be OK for the bun run. Will PM Kirsty now to check.

Back