• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

do buns need extra light

murrimint

Warren Scout
hi all, justa quick query.:D
I recently sold my soul for a 28x5 double dog kennel for 4 of my buns, the thing is although it is totally meshed on one side it is still quite dark inside the run and pitch black in the kennel side. I was thinking of trying my oh patience by getting him to put perspex windows in the roof for added light but would this be of benefit to the buns or is it just me thinking like a hoomin?
Thanks y'all!!:wave:

I wouldn't bother, rabbits are adapted to very low light conditions :)

You might want to put a solar shed light in there for you though!

I think bunnies like a bit of sunlight, if possible. It'd also be nicer for you mucking out and stuff if you can see what you're doing. I can't really picture your setup so I'm not sure how you'd do it though.

They can see perfectly well in the dark but like others have mentioned it might be nice for them to be able to see outside and will make it easier for you!

I'd advise against making windows in the roof, leaves/dead bugs will gather there and look awful :shock: also, you don't want to risk rain collecting on it and making the roof unstable. Go for 'normal' windows in my opinion :)

There are pretty easy ways to do it - make a basic frame, cover it with mesh and then attach a 'door' type swing opening which you can just open and shut. This will be great in summer when you can open it for ventilation and light, and good in winter when you can shut it :D Also, you can get a square bit of clear perspex to put across so that you can open it in the winter without getting a chilly breeze :D

Back