• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Syphilis/Vents - post 9 FAO Jacks-Jane

Just have a question thats been playing on my mind.

If rabbits can only pick up the disease through breeding/kindling (giving birth) how long does it take for symptoms to show?

Dolly definitley didnt catch it from Marley who i had 18months before getting Dolly. I haf her vaccinated and spayed and so she had a number of health checks already. Neither the vet nor i noticed a problem until 2-3 weeks after her spey.

Does it take a while for symptoms to appear, its a question thats been running through my mind since she was treated in October last year. I feel really bad for not noticing as this must have been something that she got from her mother and she was 6-8 months when I noticed :cry: I feel so guilty, would it have been causing her discomfort that whole time? :shock:

After Dolly, i learned first hand why petshops arent good places to get pets. I cant imagine the conditions she was born into.

ETA: Ive also just read that its incurable, aparently antibiotics only clear up the outside and that the virus is still in their blood streams? :shock: :cry: ... though it has never reoccured with either of my 2...touch wood :?

Last edited:
Hi,

It can take months. But it varies from bunny to bunny.

I found hoppla a female in a park. She had mated with a wild bunny. 3 month after I had found her she showed symptoms. I saw my vet immediately.

It is very easy to treat. But treatment needs to start immediately!
Hoppla recovered perfectly and is a very happy bunny.

Hi,

It can take months. But it varies from bunny to bunny.

I found hoppla a female in a park. She had mated with a wild bunny. 3 month after I had found her she showed symptoms. I saw my vet immediately.It is very easy to treat. But treatment needs to start immediately!
Hoppla recovered perfectly and is a very happy bunny.

This was the case with Dolly (and Marley as she passed it on to him before symptoms started to show).

I also thought they were fine now though (were now 6 months on) though, and i know there is a lot of false info on the internet, but ive just stumbled accross this. If its true, im quite worried.

http://rabbitinfocenter.8m.com/vent.html

I would assume that it would flare up under stress. I relocated from Germany to the UK 7 month ago. Which was hugely stressfull for the bunnies, but it didn't flare up again.

Thank you, Jane :wave:

I would assume that it would flare up under stress. I relocated from Germany to the UK 7 month ago. Which was hugely stressfull for the bunnies, but it didn't flare up again.

Hoppla, ive had a read through the link Jane has sent.

How i now understand it is...

It can clear up on its own, but can also reoccur under stress, these rabbits are symptomless carriers.

And the prognosis is better than i first thought, at least now i dont have to worry.

"Excellent prognosis with treatment. Treatment is curative and lesions will typically resolve in one to three weeks. (B609.2.w2)
Recovered animals can be used for breeding again. (B10.45.w47)
Immunity does not follow recovery. (B10.45.w47)
"

So they obviously arent immune, but humping eachother isnt a problem and they can be mixed with other rabbits. *sighs with releif*

Last edited:
FAO Jacks Jane

Hi Jane, what do you make of this?...

http://rabbitinfocenter.8m.com/vent.html

"Vent disease is serious and most often incurable, even with treatment. Although antibiotics may given as treatment, majority of the time it only heald the outside wounds, but the disease remains in the blood stream."

:? Ive been reading your link and link again, im so confused! Marley and Dolly are fine though, and havent had any problems since, but i cant help thinking what if? I also find it all very interesting.

:wave:

It can remain dormant and flare up at a later date. But it does not always do so. It never has in the cases I have dealt with. After a course of treatment with Depocillin none of the Rabbits had any further problems.

In a stud situation it would mean that the effected Rabbit could never be used for breeding again. Or at least he/she shouldn't be.

It can remain dormant and flare up at a later date. But it does not always do so. It never has in the cases I have dealt with. After a course of treatment with Depocillin none of the Rabbits had any further problems.

In a stud situation it would mean that the effected Rabbit could never be used for breeding again. Or at least he/she shouldn't be.

So it shouldnt be a problem when i try and bond Skye with them?

So it shouldnt be a problem when i try and bond Skye with them?

As long as they are asymptomatic- ie all lesions are fully healed then in my experience any risk of transmission is minimal. I have never encountered a problem with transmission from an asymptomatic Rabbit.

HOWEVER, in theory it is possible for transmission to occur so I would advise you to discuss it all with your Vet :)

As long as they are asymptomatic- ie all lesions are fully healed then in my experience any risk of transmission is minimal. I have never encountered a problem with transmission from an asymptomatic Rabbit.

HOWEVER, in theory it is possible for transmission to occur so I would advise you to discuss it all with your Vet :)

Thanks Jane. Ill add it to my list of things for when i go next week :wave:

Back