• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Bunny

carolineclair

Warren Scout
Hi all

I just bought my first bunny in about 10 years today, she is absolutely adorable and so curious about everything and not particularly timid. She is 8 1/2 weeks old and i just love her to bits already!

I have a couple of questions,
1) Can you tell from my avatar what breed she is? Her brothers and sisters were all almost identical in colourings. (Im not sure how to post a picture otherwise!)
2) I live in the Kensal Green area, can anyone recommend a good local vet?

Thank you very much.

Caroline

Hi and welcome

She is a dutch, they are brill wee rabbits, full of energy and nonsense as a general breed rule, i love dutchies, my first bunny was a black dutch :love:

What did you call her?

I cant advise about vets in your area, but she will need vaccinated soon, and spayed when she is a bit older.

Hi all

I just bought my first bunny in about 10 years today, she is absolutely adorable and so curious about everything and not particularly timid. She is 8 1/2 weeks old and i just love her to bits already!

I have a couple of questions,
1) Can you tell from my avatar what breed she is? Her brothers and sisters were all almost identical in colourings. (Im not sure how to post a picture otherwise!)
2) I live in the Kensal Green area, can anyone recommend a good local vet?

Thank you very much.

Caroline

Dutch. Beautiful bun, looks full of cheek :p! Lots of members have Dutchys on here, they're so graceful and affectionate :love: :love: Indoors or outdoors? What accomodation do you have? Are you going to consider bonding? Sorry, I'm sooo nosy :oops: xx

Last edited:
:wave: Welcome :)

She's lovely, very pretty.

Hope you enjoy the forum - please don't be put off by any interrogations about where you got her from (it seems to be the norm now that people are interrogated as soon as they join about where their rabbit is from and are they neutered yet :?)

It took me ages to suss out how to post pics :lol:

I was planning on going to a rescue and popped into my local pet shop to stock up on hay and bedding etc and just fell in love with my little bunny, she was just nose up at the cage and just won my heart! I feel ever so guilty i never made it to the rescue but heart won over the head!

Shes going to be an indoorsy bunny so any tips welcomed. I had house rabbits when i was a teenager but that was quite a while ago and this is a whole new experience!

She is still currently just bunny, no name is shouting out at me so im going to sleep on it and spend tomorrow with her and im sure her name will come to me! It was much easier when i was 10 and i just called my pets by my favourite chocolate bar or colour at the time!

As i said this is my first bunny in 10 years so I will be scouring the site for useful knowledge!

Thank you x

I was planning on going to a rescue and popped into my local pet shop to stock up on hay and bedding etc and just fell in love with my little bunny, she was just nose up at the cage and just won my heart! I feel ever so guilty i never made it to the rescue but heart won over the head!

Shes going to be an indoorsy bunny so any tips welcomed. I had house rabbits when i was a teenager but that was quite a while ago and this is a whole new experience!

She is still currently just bunny, no name is shouting out at me so im going to sleep on it and spend tomorrow with her and im sure her name will come to me! It was much easier when i was 10 and i just called my pets by my favourite chocolate bar or colour at the time!

As i said this is my first bunny in 10 years so I will be scouring the site for useful knowledge!

Thank you x

Sometimes you just fall head over heels when you meet the right bunny :love:

I'm sure a name will happen pretty soon :D

I hope so, Bunny is fine but its definitely not her name! I will let you know when shes named!

For the time being she is in an indoors 2 by 3 hutch but I have a bigger one coming, shes so inquisitive and nosey already. My plan is to have her in the hutch over night and while im at work and then have the run of the living room and kitchen when im home from work. Im still to find some cable covers for the tv wires before shes being allowed to roam anywhere!

Thanks for letting me know she is a dutch. That was what i thought but needed to be sure. She really is very pretty!!

I hope so, Bunny is fine but its definitely not her name! I will let you know when shes named!

For the time being she is in an indoors 2 by 3 hutch but I have a bigger one coming, shes so inquisitive and nosey already. My plan is to have her in the hutch over night and while im at work and then have the run of the living room and kitchen when im home from work. Im still to find some cable covers for the tv wires before shes being allowed to roam anywhere!

Thanks for letting me know she is a dutch. That was what i thought but needed to be sure. She really is very pretty!!

What size is the bigger hutch? I'm not interrogating (honest), I'm just trying to see if I can offer any good advice rehousing. I've found for indoor buns DIY homes seem better suited. I liked Xlarge dog crates with pens attached so buns have lots of space for toys and hay boxes etc to enjoy while us humans are busy - I'm not saying you have to do the same, just saying it works well :)

What size is the bigger hutch? I'm not interrogating (honest), I'm just trying to see if I can offer any good advice rehousing. I've found for indoor buns DIY homes seem better suited. I liked Xlarge dog crates with pens attached so buns have lots of space for toys and hay boxes etc to enjoy while us humans are busy - I'm not saying you have to do the same, just saying it works well :)

Funny you should mention the dog cages just been looking at the dog cages and the idea of putting in a second level is a great one. I think that might be my project over the next couple of weekends! For the time being the one im picking up from my mum is our old guinea pigs winter 2x4. I want to give her as much space as is possible in my small house and safe so any advice ill take on for sure. Thanks

Funny you should mention the dog cages just been looking at the dog cages and the idea of putting in a second level is a great one. I think that might be my project over the next couple of weekends! For the time being the one im picking up from my mum is our old guinea pigs winter 2x4. I want to give her as much space as is possible in my small house and safe so any advice ill take on for sure. Thanks

I did a dog crate with a second level :). I find dog crates with puppy pens attached make a good space, although you'd need to find something to go over the top of a puppy pen to avoid buns jumping out.

Look up NICs cubes on here.. You can use them to make indoor bun housing AND use them to block off places in the house, like around TVs etc to stop buns getting where they shouldn't. They're a very handy thing to have.

Aww she looks gorgeous :love:

I still call my bun "Bunny"... Took about 5 days to come up with his real name (Hopscotch), but Bunny has kind of stuck! He's just Hopscotch on anything official :lol:

Sounds like a good plan :) I wasted lots of money repeatedly buying unsuitable housing and then having to upgrade it :oops: so to use the guineas' hutch temporarily while you look into other options sounds like a wise move!

If you search the forums (seach button is on the green bar at the top) for "indoor housing" or similar, there are quite a few threads with pictures, so you could look for ideas that work for you and your house.

I used to have a crate but didn't like it, in the end I got two puppy pens, each with six panels, and attached them together to pen off an area of my living room.

Congrats on your new bunny! She looks adorable! Have a look at the care reference section, lots of info there to get you up to date :)

Personally I like my pen better than a dog crate, as I can walk and sit inside it with plenty of room, which makes it easier to clean. But a good thing about a crate is that it has a base, so keeps the mess off your carpet.

have you considered just having her free-range, like you would a house cat? You would need to bunny proof but you'll need to do this anyway to have her out at all. It means you can share the space available, so you dont have a huge cage taking up room, and of course its much cheaper as you dont need to buy a cage. She'd also get a lot more exercise.

I use a "puppy pen" for my bunnys, they're excellent :) I got one of the ones with quite high sides to stop my bunnys jumping out, also means the door is big enough that I can just climb in when I need to do a clean out :)
Mine is 6ft x 2ft and only cost £35 or so, so it's better value for money than all the normal pet shop cages and hutches too

Back