• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trimming bunnies nails

Bitzy

Mama Doe
Do you do it yourself ???......and if so, is it easy to do??

I'm a bit worried about Dizzi and Rascal's nails because they've been inside all winter and haven't been naturally wearing them down like they normally do and they are getting quite long now.

Whenever I take them to the vet its such a huuuge trauma for them so I was wondering if I could do it myself rather than put them through all that. (its a 45 min drive each way and they HATE it).

I've trimmed my budgies nails in the past and believe that bunnies are similar in that there's a blood vessel in the nail so you should never cut them too short or you'll catch the 'quick' and they'll bleed - a lot!

Would it be ok to just cut the very tips off do you think??

just done my grandbunnies nails this morning. they are quite small bunnies, so it was easy to hold them in the crook of my arm, like babies, with all four paws sticking up. they also have pale nails, so it was easy to see where to cut, i just trimmed off the transparent bits. i didn't hurt them (squeeze a little with the clippers, if you're hurting, they move!). i got a good telling off from charlie bun for my impertinence though. my own buns are a bit bigger but they are very used to manicures so they don't wriggle much and don't tell me off. their nails are black, or very dark, so i have to trim a little, regularly.

I do my buns nails. Taught myself, as long as you're careful it's fine
I'd say get a dog nail trimmer, the rabbit ones I've found are too small (Charlies only a medium sized bun too)

I usually put them on the sofa downstairs and bend round them to do them. I find a good light helps and with one of mine I use a head torch as she has dark nails. Have a bowl of flour nearby if you are worried. If you do clip the vein dip the whole foot in the flour and it will help stem the bleeding. Obviously if it continues get bunny to a vet.

I use these...

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/deluxe-pet-nail-clipper-for-cats-and-dogs-by-mikki-15572

I find them a lot easier to quickly grab and cut once I've got bunny in position.

Brilliant, thanks everyone, will nip to P@H this afty .... and enlist the OH for holding duties!

Dizzi has pale nails but Rascals are dark ..... will defo use the torch method and just trim a tiny bit off the very ends of their nails. :)

my vet recomends bringing the claws level with the fur on thier paws :wave:

I personally use the small animal clippers, I use them on my buns and cats. I have found the larger cat and dog ones are rubbish and dont cut well :?

Timmy and Max have dark nails which makes it quite difficult because you cant see the vessel. I tend to do little and often with those 2. I did nick Timmys blood vessel once as he has quite long ones. Felt so guilty, but you only learn thrrough experience :wave:

Timmy and Max have dark nails which makes it quite difficult because you cant see the vessel. I tend to do little and often with those 2. I did nick Timmys blood vessel once as he has quite long ones. Felt so guilty, but you only learn thrrough experience :wave:

I was nearly in tears when I nicked Rosie, I didn't even realise at the time, then saw a bit of blood on her little grey paw :( Her front toes are easier as they are pale. Her back feet are dark.

I was nearly in tears when I nicked Rosie, I didn't even realise at the time, then saw a bit of blood on her little grey paw :( Her front toes are easier as they are pale. Her back feet are dark.

Its horrible isnt it, I cried my eyes out :oops:
But the bleeding stopped pretty quickly and didnt bother him in anyway. Its just the sight of blood coming from your beloved bunny :shock::(

Yes to the end of the fur- but most importantly after the vein. If in doubt leave the slightly longer and clip them again in a few weeks if they have grown.

I slipped once with Mischa and got quite a bit of the quick. Took forever to stop so we shot straight off to the closer vets.

Thanks!

Didn't manage to get to P@H today so will go on my day off tomorrow ...... and do it tomorrow night when OH is home from work.

Are the back ones harder to cut than the front ones? I imagine them to be stronger for some reason!?

Back