• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lump on face . . . ?

ciarapatricia

Young Bun
So I have a 1 year old rabbit Lily and a few days ago I saw something on her face, but I actually thought it was just a bit of normal rabbit poo stuck to her face. So I thought she'd clean it off herself.

Then I didn't notice it for a few days, cos she's a fluffy Lionhead but then last night I noticed it again so tried to take it off, and noticed it's actually a lump. :( It's a little bigger than a rabbit dropping, looks like one cos it's scabby. I very gently pulled it off, because it was loose and didn't really bother her or hurt her. Underneath there was a tiny cut/hole with a little bit of pus.

I don't really know what this is, so wondering does anyone know? It was kinda just to the right of her mouth, I really hope it's not from teeth problems :( Could it just bit from a cut? She had been gnawing wood and there's wire on the door of her shed that she could have gotten a cut from I suppose. Any other ideas?

There are no rabbit savvy vets around here at all (south of Ireland) which is why I'm asking here first, because people will actually know more than lots of vets probably . . . I can take her to a good vet though if it comes back, of course, or if it might be something that needs further vet care.

Hi, erm not sure of course what this could have been but if there is pus then it definatley will need a good clean and I imagine some antibiotics.

Could it have been a tick?

Thanks for the reply :) It didn't look like a tick, and I don't think she could have gotten one from anywhere, she hasn't been on the grass yet this year or anything.

I cleaned it with salt water, now it's just got a little scab over it, I'm keeping an eye on it for signs of being infected or coming back. :)

Oh and I should add, it wasn't like a soft lump, it was really hard. Maybe just cos it was scabby, but it was like hard and hollow, not full of pus, just a tiny bit of pus :?

Last edited:
Sounds like an abcess to me, you need to keep it clean and keep getting the pus out, but more importantly take her to the vet asap as needs to be started on antibiotics really to get rid of the infection.

Sounds like an abcess to me, you need to keep it clean and keep getting the pus out, but more importantly take her to the vet asap as needs to be started on antibiotics really to get rid of the infection.

Thanks, it is scabbed and doesn't seem to have pus now. The lump is actually gone now so I dunno what to do really about cleaning it since it's just a scab? Do I take off the scab and clean it? I'm gonna try to find out more . . .

Rabbits can have Baytril antibiotics right? I can get the antibiotics Monday (yeah these things always start at the weekend don't they), otherwise would have to find some kinda emergency vet, not sure if there are any around, I live in the middle of nowhere . . . typical :roll:

Also do you think it would be caused by dental problems? I'm really worried about that . . .

Thanks for the help :)

I think there's so many things that could have caused it it'll be best to go to the vets. You'll probably be given baytril at first. Just keep an eye on her mood and how well she's eating. If she stops then get to an emergency vet. :wave:

Thanks everyone

To be honest, I've no idea what the vet will do since all you can see now is a little scab, looks like a scratch and the vets aren't that rabbit savvy . . . but I'll be at the vet anyway tomorrow and see what she says, probably "keep an eye on it" or something like they always say

Well I'll update it tomorrow :)

Good news, the vet says it's fine since the abcess has fallen off, there's nothing more to do. :)

She just said it was probably an abcess, and that they're prone to them and it was probably there for no reason in particular. So I don't have to worry about it. :)

Back